Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awwnelson

HDC and HBITMAP

In Win32 API, is there any function that takes a handle to a device context and returns a handle to a bitmap? I''ve created a Blit function that scales and uses transparency, and I wanted to use it with text, but it takes a handle to a bitmap, and TextOut only writes to a device context. any suggestions? thanks.

so, will that (creating a DIBSection instead of a DDB) allow me to write to the device context and have it actually affect the bitmap referred to by the handle? Or are you saying I can somehow use the function to get a handle to a bitmap out of the device context?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you asking if you can create an HDC to a memory bitmap that you can write to? You would want to create an hdc, possibly create a bitmap, and select a bitmap into the hdc.

hdcBitmap = CreateCompatibleDC(GetDC(hWnd));
hBitmap = CreateCompatibleBitmap(GetDC(hWnd),iWidth,iHeight);
hbOld = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(hdcBitmap,hBitmap);

I used the hdc from your window to create the bitmap to ensure color support (CreateCompatibleDC just greates an hdc to a single pixel monochrome bitmap). Alternatively you could select an existing bitmap, loaded with one of the bitmap loader functions, into the hdc created by CreateCompatibleDC(). You can then use the hdc as normal for any GDI functions and for using various GDI objects (brushes, pens, etc). This coule also be used as a double buffer, blitting it to your main window''s DC on every WM_PAINT message (simply call InvalidateRect at the end of any modification to the hdc to the memory bitmap or something like that).

Actually, I''m trying to do the opposite: I want to take a handle to a device context that has bitmap information (because I used TextOut() to ''paint'' some text on it) and get a handle to a bitmap from that device context. I have a function that takes a handle to a bitmap that can blit with scaling and transparency, and I thought it would be nice if I could use that in my DrawText () function. (of course I could just copy the code over into the function, but that wouldn''t be as pretty )