AI Engine?

Started by
3 comments, last by wenching 21 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone. I need some help here. There are game engines like TV3D or Auran Jet. There are phyisc engines like ODE or Havok. Is there AI engines who game developers used in games? I wonder ppl who created games AI in Splinter Cell or MOHAA, did they really code AI manually or using AI engines? Can anyone share that with me? Thanks. Regards, Chua Wen Ching "Very new to games I think"
"Very new to games I think"
Advertisement
Hi,

I heard of attempts for AI packages... but almost every AI system is specific to the current game you''re working on.

Path Finding could be one of the things included in such package, but it''s very dependant on your level data. A space shooter as totally different path finding data that an adventure game has. For example, I never worked on a RTS, but I guess they need to pack units into group not to bust the CPU calculating pathfinding information for each unique unit.

As for strategies made by bots, such as in rainbow 6 or splinter cell (I didn''t play this game), they are probably simple state machines and team state machines with scripted behaviors to do some "clever" tactics.

AI is a broad subject... and I guess it''s too broad for 1 library to cover it all and still be flexible.

Just my 2 cents...
Take a look at ai-implant.com. There was some discussion of ai-engines in the ai forum recently (past few days), they might prove intresting reading for you.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
Hey!

Thanks a bunch for the link!

The coolest thing is that they seem to be located in Montreal, just as our studio is

Thanks again!
Wow.

Ai Implant is cool! But only can evaluate less than 15 days.

Is there any AI engine that is good but free.

Anyway so AI used in Splinter Cell are just finite state machines. They don''t use any searching algorithm.

Just wondering how does bad guys find you?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement