career path to the xbox

Started by
7 comments, last by koolboarder007 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, a friend of mine and I are going to be developing a few games soon and putting together a demo real. We have about 2 years left of college so I figure that now is the time to ask this question. What is the best path to take for us to end up working for microsoft eventually in the xbox department? Are there ways we can get involved now since we still have a couople of years to go? Any help would be appreciated. koolboarder007
Advertisement
As far as i know, learn some DirectX, as XBox uses Directx as its SDK.

Ant
in my personal opinion i think xbox will fall out kinda like the dreamcast did a couple years ago, and i doubt there will be an xbox 2. superior machine but lack of good games and playability. don''t get me wrong i preferre the xbox over anything but i think the game industry has all it needs already, ps and nintendo have it covered. ps has more adult oriented games and nintendo is direrected more towards children. there''s just no room. and most games that you play on the ps and gamecube can''t be bought for xbox due to contracts and stuff to single out the competitors and destroy them.
in my personal opinion i think xbox will fall out kinda like the dreamcast did a couple years ago, and i doubt there will be an xbox 2. superior machine but lack of good games and playability. don''t get me wrong i preferre the xbox over anything but i think the game industry has all it needs already, ps and nintendo have it covered. ps has more adult oriented games and nintendo is direrected more towards children. there''s just no room. and most games that you play on the ps and gamecube can''t be bought for xbox due to contracts and stuff to single out the competitors and destroy them.
This probably won't help you but a friend of mine was hired by Microsoft to work on XBox games by going to GDC and making friends with a game designer at a Microsoft hosted party. The game industry is no different from other industries in this sense; it's not what you know, it's who you know.

[edited by - jhocking on March 12, 2003 10:30:32 PM]

-Joe Hocking | newArteest
Intro book for programmers: Unity in Action

Juggalo_247,

You sound like just another ps2 or gc fanboy. Get a clue before you make remarks like that. 3 systems have survived together before. Anyway, they all seem to have their own niche market.

[edited by - ShockBoy on March 12, 2003 10:40:07 PM]
--Before I couldn't spell engineer, now I are one!
Hmm..saying xbox will fall out is a risky prediction considering their owner. After buying a ps2, I wish I had gotten an xbox. I think xbox will survive and I think they will figure it out by realizing what ps2 is lacking and conform their system to it.
Yea...i think Xbox is a wonderful system.

Microsoft can afford to make mistakes unlike other company''s...

Not to mention Xbox Live..i LOVE my xbox live

"Today Was Tomorrow"
"Today Was Tomorrow"
There is no straightforward way of getting a job in Microsoft''s XBox ''game development department'' or with any development studio for that matter. Your best bet would be to finish your studies and aim to graduate with a degree in a computer related course - such as computer science or studies. As well as the formal qualifications you will need to spend a lot of time working on your own programming projects, and spend a *lot* of time with self-learning and research. (There is no easy path in professional game development!) New hardware or algorithm announced? You need to know about it... (ad infinitum).

In a nutshell I''d suggest not aiming for a specific platform or a specific game programmer role. Aim to get into the industry first - which is not as easy as it sounds at the moment - and work your way from there.

Good luck - I hope things work out well!
Regards,
Sharky

---
#define _WEBSITE
Sharky''s Coding Corner
#endif
---

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement