Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uros

Exporting from 3dsMax to DirectX (.X) files

Hello !! Which exporters do you guys use for exporting from 3d studio (4.0) to DirectX (.X) files ?? I have tried microsoft''s exporter (XSkinExp.dle), but It doesn''t really work. I have allso tried PandaSoft''s exporter and it works much better than microsofts. Which are the important settings and things to consider when exporting to .X files ?? PandaSoft''s exporter works quite OK, but there are some problems: If I assign for example 10x10 textures to the level mesh in 3D studio and then load it to my "3D engine" using directx 8.1, the mesh is displayed with only one texture over all mesh, although I set 10x10 textures in 3D Studio ?? Do you have any ideas what the problem could be ?? Could it be the exporter ?? Thanx !! -- Uros

I have had trouble with texture coordinates not making it into the X file.

My solution...

Export model to 3ds file. Preserve Max texture coordinates in popup. Use a good file converter to change to an X file.

a neat one..

3D Exploration. You can get a trial version.

Hi,

the XSkinExp plugin is a bit buggy, so you should really consider fixing it as described here: http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/tutorials/compilex/index.html

I believe the Panda version have addressed most of these flaws though.

When it comes down to using multiple textures, its neither a bug in your code or with the exporter. XSkinExp just don''t support more than one texture per subset. You''ll have to manually implement it in your code (or code your own exporter).

MenTaL

I''we had lots of problems with both Panda and the MS plugin, mostly with getting the textures right. I have tried every trick I could find, from converting to editable mesh to .. you name it..

Anyway, for now I stick with conv3ds.exe from DX8.x. You have to take a few more steps, but it works.

Now, I have a related question: Is it possible to export several meshes into one .x model? Say I wanted to make a soldier carrying a gun. It would be much easier for me to just make them as two separate meshes in 3DStudio - so that eg. applying textures would be easier, but if I didn''t mind the gun being permanently attached to the soldier, it would make things easier in my code if I could load them as one model. Is this possible?
Meanwhile, I''ll try using the Grouping function in 3DStudio, to see if the groupmembers are treated as one mesh.

Real programmers don''t comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand

I've always had pretty good luck with the conv3ds exe that comes with the SDK. Granted, I've never done any seriously difficult texture manipulation, but nor have I had any problems. It's console-based, which means that I can have another excuse to reminisce about the good ol' days of DOS... But anyways, you should be able to export a 3DSMax object as a .3ds file. Save it in the same folder as the conv3ds.exe, then go to DOS. Go to that folder (cd\folder, for those of you spoiled by Windows and GUIs...), and type in "conv3ds .3ds". The x file will be converted and saved in the same folder, along with the preserved texture coordinates. You still should use a UVW modifier, though.

By the way... did I mention that conv3ds is free, and you already have it?

By the way, you'll need to copy the textures you used as bmps or jpgs to the folder where you'll use the x file. DX will automatically recognize them...

[edited by - TythosEternal on March 13, 2003 7:03:09 PM]

On the last bit there, my experience has been that I have to use the -x switch in conv3ds.exe, and open the file in an editor, look for something like TextureFilename {} and change the contents from absolute path to relative. As long as you don''t move things around, or let other ppl test your code, you don''t have to, but it''s much more flexible this way
If your mesh shows up with for example a grey material, then this is probably the problem.

Also, I seem to remember that the starting path of an .X-file (no, I''m not going to say it..) is the path of the executable, not necessarily the path of the .x-file itself.

Real programmers don''t comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand