Exporting from 3dsMax to DirectX (.X) files

Started by
10 comments, last by Uros 21 years, 1 month ago
I've always had pretty good luck with the conv3ds exe that comes with the SDK. Granted, I've never done any seriously difficult texture manipulation, but nor have I had any problems. It's console-based, which means that I can have another excuse to reminisce about the good ol' days of DOS... But anyways, you should be able to export a 3DSMax object as a .3ds file. Save it in the same folder as the conv3ds.exe, then go to DOS. Go to that folder (cd\folder, for those of you spoiled by Windows and GUIs...), and type in "conv3ds .3ds". The x file will be converted and saved in the same folder, along with the preserved texture coordinates. You still should use a UVW modifier, though.

By the way... did I mention that conv3ds is free, and you already have it?

By the way, you'll need to copy the textures you used as bmps or jpgs to the folder where you'll use the x file. DX will automatically recognize them...

[edited by - TythosEternal on March 13, 2003 7:03:09 PM]
"Who's John Galt?"
Advertisement
On the last bit there, my experience has been that I have to use the -x switch in conv3ds.exe, and open the file in an editor, look for something like TextureFilename {} and change the contents from absolute path to relative. As long as you don''t move things around, or let other ppl test your code, you don''t have to, but it''s much more flexible this way
If your mesh shows up with for example a grey material, then this is probably the problem.

Also, I seem to remember that the starting path of an .X-file (no, I''m not going to say it..) is the path of the executable, not necessarily the path of the .x-file itself.

Real programmers don''t comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
Real programmers don't comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement