simple RTS game engine

Started by
3 comments, last by Marty666 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I''m planning on making a very simple RTS game engine, no models or collision detection yet, just a nicely textured landscape. I''ve allready done heightmaps, but when i started my first one with dynamic LOD and octrees it became nothing... Now i''m planning to restrict the camera angle so that you allways look down, so i can just simply calculate the maximum x en y coordinates of my landscape (z=up) and only render that part. I''m telling this because I know how to texture a big landscape, with one big texture and detail textures and all. But i''d like to have a lot more texture quality and detail (like edges of patches of grass, roads, rocks, etc). I was planning to make an editor like the old warcraft level editors where i can just add a texture (for example grass) to my brush and draw on the landscape, the edges would be done automaticly. Which appoach for texturing should i use? Tiles? Decal textures for roads? Or again one big texture, but just with a lot of detail? This would use a lot of mem though, I dunno... Please give some advice, Marty
_____ /____ /|| | || MtY | ||_____|/Marty
Advertisement
I would highly recomend you use a small texture that has everything, and then apply a tiled detail texture over it.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Is this how the c&c generals or warcraft 3 type engines work?

Marty
Not sure, but it looks extremely sweet...

So now i have a big blocky texture and a detail texture. It looks really cool. Those blocks even seem to smooth out under the detail texture. Now how do I create differences in detail texture (for example grass detail for grass and rock for rocks)?not with smooth transitions, but edges. Grass doesn''t just smoothly change into rock, right?

Marty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement