Texturing Heightmapped terrain - Buzzword?

Started by
8 comments, last by Green 21 years, 1 month ago
hello, I would like to texture my terrain based on its height. (Going from grass to rock to snow based on height). Can anyone give me the buzzword for this so I can find information? Thanks
Advertisement
Bishop_Pass would know...

terrain multi-texturing might get you started
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Hey thanks!

also found ''procedural texture generation'' to work.
you can use 3d textures to do this, you create each layer and set the third texture coordinate of the terrain to its height. you would probably want like 5 layers or something, under water, sand, grass, rock, snow.

edit: forgot to say, you can add a little variation in the height coordinate so it doesn't look like the terrain is 'banded'. like you can have steep areas increase the height coordinate so more rock shows, or flat areas get closer to the grass layer, really nifty stuff.

[edited by - billybob on March 8, 2003 1:14:20 AM]
thanks guys!

also..
found a cool tut that shows a neat way to precompute a texture, based off a height map, for the whole terrain. Again going between different textures, say ( grass, rock, snow)

http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_proctext.shtml
Using volume textures to do it would be really stupid at this time, since that rules out every card that doesn''t support it, and those are still the majority of the cards out there.
Sure, be innovative and push technology, but not TOO much...

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
Oh, and don''t get me wrong, it''s an extremely cool idea, that i honestly haven''t thought of before

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
--> Graphics Programming.
quote:Original post by tok_junior
Using volume textures to do it would be really stupid at this time, since that rules out every card that doesn''t support it, and those are still the majority of the cards out there.

Actually, 3D tectures have been a core feature of OpenGL since OpenGL 1.2, and since (AFAIK) OpenGL 1.2 is supported by most graphics cards out there, I''d say that the majority of cards do support 3D textures...

Michael K.,
Designer and Graphics Programmer of "The Keepers"

We come in peace... surrender or die!
Michael K.
but there are some good reasons why they are not very useful for terrain texturing inthe way billybob mentioned:

-3D texturing is always slower than 2D
-it reqires 2^n layers
-if you enable mipmaping then all your terrain will be the same color in the distance (imagine 1x1x1 texture)

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement