Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tri

Reflection.PropertyInfo.SetValue Problem (.NET)

So I'm trying to set the value of a property for an object I created dynamically at runtime. I know my way around the Reflection namespace, I've followed the examples in the help file, and checked other examples on sites like dotnet247.com. As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything correctly (but if that were the case, then I wouldn't have this problem). The problem is that the line in question doesn't appear to be doing anything, ie, my call to SetValue doesn't have any effect. I need another set of eyes to look over this and tell me if I'm missing something (VB):
Private Sub SetObjectProperty(ByRef theObject As Object, ByVal PropertyName As String, ByVal PropertyValue As String)

Dim WorkingType As System.Type = theObject.GetType

Dim theProperty As PropertyInfo = WorkingType.GetProperty(PropertyName)

' // This is the line that's not working as it should.
    theProperty.SetValue(theObject, CSng(PropertyValue), Nothing)

End Sub         
This is a stripped down version of the full method, but it shows what I'm trying to do. Every line works as it should, except the one I pointed out. Here's a few things about it: - The object whose property I am trying to set is one I created. In fact, here's the property code for my test property (C#):
public float FormWidth
    {
        get { return this.GetWidth(); }
        set { this.Width.Init(FormWidth); }
    }      
- GetValue works without any problems. - If I GetValue before the call, I get what I passed to the property in the constructor (object was declared a long time ago). - If I GetValue after the call, I get the same value as I did before the call. Like the SetValue function didn't do anything. - Yes, PropertValue is a string when it is passed to the function, that's the way I need it to be. This string contains a number, which I convert to a Single (float) for the SetValue method. I know they have to be exactly the same type, and Single in VB is float in C#. - The line in question DOES NOT generate any exceptions. Bummer. - I have MsgBox's in place to test the value before and after the call. I hope that covers everything. Can someone take a look and tell me where I might've messed up here? I can't seem to find it on my own :/ Thanks [edited by - Tri on March 7, 2003 1:12:48 PM] [edited by - Tri on March 7, 2003 1:53:55 PM]

I think the problem is with the FormWidth property, not your SetObjectProperty() code. When trying it out with a simple driver property, your SetObjectProperty() method works fine. And there isn''t enough given code to tell why it doesn''t work on your FormWidth property.

Thank you for your response. It was helpful and led me to a solution that worked.

Apparantly the problem was this:

set { this.Width.Init(value ); }

I had to use value instead of FormWidth. I don't know why it had to be that, but it works and I'm happy. I think in VB I could get away with using FormWidth.

I couldn't give the code for the set routine because that stuff is secret (suffice to say it's tested and works as it should).

So thanks again

[edited by - Tri on March 8, 2003 2:40:38 PM]