Quest for a good file format

Started by
2 comments, last by Coz 21 years, 1 month ago
What file format do you think it''s better for games? I''m trying to find something not with superb quality, and that doesn''t take too much space of course... Also if you know of something instrumental that is better than midi for the music, tell me. I''m looking for one format for sounds and another for music. And also... do you think that the same format used for sounds it''s good enough for voices?
Advertisement
I usually use OGG VORBIS. It isn''t instrumental like a midi, but it can be used for both music and sound without any big patent/copyright issues.

--------------------------------------------
This is the polish virus. It is not an executable, but if you would kindly format your entire harddrive, we would be happy.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
For a flexible engine, use mp3 or ogg for music and wav for sounds. Additionally, for an expandable engine, also support mod, xm, it etc formats as alot of people are into trackers and in that case tracker music doesn''t have to be converted to be used by level designers et al. MIDI is something I wouldn''t suggest for a high-end engine since it is rather "restricted" compared to "real audio". MIDI is, in my view, outdated as a game music format, and can much more effectively be used in online projects or to distribute original digital works (since it only requires a simple keyboard). Voices = sounds unless they include long dialogue which you''d be better off shipping as mp3''s. Then again, 8KHz voice sounds OK unless it includes special high-frequency effects - in this case you could also keep these as wav files.

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement