Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditto Brother Rat

[java] Holy crap, Java on Gameboy

The best part is that this is a hardware implementation of the JVM, so it will not suffer from the slow effects of software interpretation.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book

That''s simply not true Most accessories fail, and since we don''t even know how much the accessory would cost or if anyone would even see it for the next 5 years - the risks of supporting such a device are as high as supporting the Indrema, Nuon, or Apple''s Pippin :D

this is true, cost does play a big role in such things.
but think of it this way...
it can be used as a niche for indie developers.
we as a community are more than enough to truly support such a product.
also if we produce enough games, of decent quality then we can turn a profit TO OURSELVES as well.

as usual it depends on us... the willing the few

I read somewhere (JGO?)that the Jamid thing''s gonna cost $100 so I don''t think it''s gonna be a big seller. Unless a lot of quality games are released for it, which is unlikely. Or is it? There are lots of teams out there that have completed a GBA games but can''t find publishers. Maybe they''ll port their games over.

quote:

but why not double my market and my profit?
do GBA and cell phones!

Oh, definitely. Keep the platform dependent code separated from the rest and maybe you could release a J2SE version too without too much trouble.

$100 and you think it won''t sell well?? It certainly won''t be the cost holding it back. It looks like a quality product, and I for one am very excited by it.

Now all I have to do is look into Java graphics packages, implementing collision detection, AI routines, et cetra ad infinitum. Oh, well, I''ll get there eventually.

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews

I forgot that it plays MP3s so it might sell pretty good. I don''t know, $100 American seems pretty steep to me. Plus it sounds like you need to buy a MMC card writer too. But I''m still excited too. I don''t really care how well it sells, I just want to something I wrote running on a Gameboy.

Oh ya, I wonder how long it''ll take someone to write a GBA emulator for it?