[java] Most widely used JVM

Started by
8 comments, last by csDraco_ 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi all! Does any one know of some statistics of what java virtual machines people use these days? .. I''m in the middle of implementation of my multiplayer java game (applet), and time has come for me to decide if I should stick to Java 1.1 and my custom gui, or go ahead and use Swing, since it''s avaliable from Java 1.2. At this point I''d prefer to use Swing and define my own look and feel, rather then keep on working on my own custom gui in AWT ... but .. I also wont my applet to be playable without any updates of the JRE ... this is pretty much my dilemma.
Advertisement
I''ve read that MS stopped shipping JVM with XP alltogether (I don''t use windows much these days ... mostly Slackware @ home and Solaris @ Univ) .. perhaps some good will come out of that, since everyone who wonts java will get the latest version (1.4.1) from Sun

.. maby using Swing is not a bad idea then ... hmmm
quote:Original post by csDraco_
I''ve read that MS stopped shipping JVM with XP alltogether (I don''t use windows much these days ... mostly Slackware @ home and Solaris @ Univ) .. perhaps some good will come out of that, since everyone who wonts java will get the latest version (1.4.1) from Sun

.. maby using Swing is not a bad idea then ... hmmm

Like he said

How is this trail against MS going anyways?
We should get the 1.4.1 VM in the next Windows

Anyways, I try to target my works for 1.3 and 1.4
also staying GJC compatible (which prevents using AWT or Swing)

"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
I think I found a solution ... since my game isn''t done yet, no one will play it anyway, so I''ll use Swing, since I can create funcinal UI with it pretty fast, and have it out of my way. And I''ll be able to concentrate on my server and client programming. While, later on I''ll either convert to my custom gui, or define custom look and feel for Swing.

Theres no better decision, then a decision to put one off

And since MS has been orderd by court''s rulling to include a JVM in XP then, perhaps in a fev months (or years) we''ll all have a 1.4 or later JVM to play with ... or back to 1.1, or another trial ... only time will tell.
Don''t let lawsuits do the work for you. Just concentrate on making your game, and then worry about distributing when the time comes. AFAIK, MS has appealed the decision and it is upheld by the appeals courts, so you probably won''t get Java bundled with Windows anytime soon. Unless I''m completely misreading the news articles.

==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Your best best is to lobby Sun for a game-oriented JVM (read: very small, very lean, very fast, and with a few important tweaks to GC policy by default).

I''ve managed to get the 1.4 client JVM down to 2MB compressed and still run my game. That''s not a bad overhead! Excelsior JET adds about 1MB on the total size though, so still a way to go yet. I''d be happy with 1.5MB or so. Especially if it wound up on a few coverdisks and got a bit more ubiquitous.

Cas
I''m curious. How did you manage to get the runtime down to 2 MB? How do you remove stuff from it?
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I ran my game using -verbose, piped the output to a text file, and then systematically deleted all the classes from rt.jar that weren''t in it!

Then I set about removing all the dlls as well, and so on. Eventually I compressed it with WinRAR. Bingo! Small VM. Sadly undistributable without a special license and therefore as useful as a chocolate kettle.

Cas
I''d lobby them for free or at least discount hosting of 100% java games

Actually I can''t complain .. I found a US company that does 15GB/month @ $30 USD, for a game server ... is that a fair price BTW?
depends on what else is in that hosting package -- what all specifically you get
Star Dart - Java Multiplayer Space Combat at http://www.stardart.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement