Visual C++

Started by
3 comments, last by Rubes 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey, I''m really new to programming, and am learning C++ at the moment. When I make a game in Visual C++, when I create my application shell, what do I need to choose for the options? Like the project type (MFC AppWizard, Win32, etc.), and whether it is Single Document, Multi Document, or Dialog Based. I have no idea what to set these options to for a game. Can anyone help me?
Advertisement
ern...
Well... its really not for anybody to TELL you what to pick, but I''d say unless you actually know MFC and why you would need/want to choose it, then you don''t need to create an MFC project, and therefore view models are not an issue. Most games are probably built on top of a basic WinMain and WndProc function pair, ie a plain Win32 Application. If you don''t even know Win32 then you need to learn at least the basics of that before you tackle making any kind of game. In fact, if you are "really new to programming" then you would be advised to do the work and learn to program "period", before attempting to learn Win32 API, MFC or game programming, meaning doing all the work to learn the language and writing a lot of boring text/console programs.
Textbased programs doesn''t have to be boring.
I remember when i started making small games on the
C64, the textbased adventures are probably still
what i learned the most from, and they were probably
the ones that was the most fun to make aswell

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
quote:Original post by tok_junior
Textbased programs doesn''t have to be boring.
I remember when i started making small games on the
C64, the textbased adventures are probably still
what i learned the most from, and they were probably
the ones that was the most fun to make aswell

Well yes, I suppose you are right. Sometimes I forget all the fun programming an old IBM PC back in my GWBASIC and Turbo C++ days. I simply meant that if this character is at the level he says he is at then he probably needs to start with the old-school text mode stuff. ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement