Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manuelb

What do you think about my game?

Some time ago, I was thinking about begin another space shooter... but I decided to do a diferent game. I don't know if the game is good, but it's like this: You have to walk, pull and push boxes to find the goal during some time, The field is allways randomic, and with A* I calculate the best path, if the user loose, the computer shows the path. I work during day and go to college at nigth, so I don't have time to do greate graphics, animations and so on.... I used Devcpp, coding with C and opengl. the game is here: http://dinf.unicruz.edu.br/~manuelb/setupacaixa.zip *edit controls: arrow keys, z to push and x to pull. ps. The very easy option is so easy because I will show it to a A.I. professor, and I think her videogame skills are not that good. -------------------------- Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!! --------------------------- [edited by - manuelb on March 8, 2003 2:30:48 AM]

This sounds a lot like the old Sokoban, which me personally didn''t find very amusing.
But if it''s a project for school it might be good.
Although, if it''s for an AI course, i would probably try to show something a bit more "AI" than a tree-traverser, like neural networks and/or genetic algorithms (can anyone say buzzword?).

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

I can''t get it to run on my system. On the first two dificulties it just crash with a "Memory could not be read" error. On the other two it sits on the "I''m thinking. Please wait" message so long that I grow unpatient and quits it (several minutes).

My System:
Athlon XP: 1600+
768 MB Ram
GeForce 2 MX
Windows 2000 Sp 3

--
Spearhawk productions
Project Andromeda

Spearhawk: I don''t know what is heppening with your system, I tested it in win2000 at college and it worked. I will try to find what is worng.

tok_junior: I think A* is AI as Neural networks or genetics. I realy don''t think taht NN or genetics are "more AI" than A*.

thanks for the replays.

--------------------------
Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!
---------------------------

A* is just a way of traversing a tree/diagram, that can be used in finding a shortest path between point A and B, which is a very small component of AI. Don''t get me wrong here, im not saying it''s not AI, but it''s limited to traversing trees.
The reason i said NN and GA was "more" AI, is that they let you implement learning. And there''s no need to be offended, i''m just giving my input
And about it not running for Spearhawk, make sure you check for all the capabilities you use, things like that can be hard to track down.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I either get "Program Error" or a blank screen.

P3 500mhz
512 ram
GeForce 2
Windows 2000 Pro

Ok tok_junior, no problem. I''m thinking on use NN or other learning process to improve the A*. I know the game is not so good. My idea is to make a randomic puzzle, that have allways a diferent solution. It was only the first step.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I either get "Program Error" or a blank screen.

P3 500mhz
512 ram
GeForce 2
Windows 2000 Pro

The O.S. where I run it at college was not win200 as i wrote before, it was win NT. Maybe the problem is an incompatibility with win2000.

My system:
Dual P3 1Ghz, 1gb ram - gforce 2 pro 64

it thinks for a lot of time, then crashes.
eats away at memmory quite fast, after 30 secs it had 40mb ram allocated....

better have a second look at that code...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams]
Need [3D Artist] & [Sound Designer]
for small project. Contact me plz...
[-NO TO WAR ON IRAQ-]

Seems to run perfectly on my computer, short ''i''m thinking'' time (maybe 10 secs). Interesting game, randomly created level layouts????? I have no business around here, I can''t understand a* at all.

my system specs:
AMD Athlon 1.4ghz
256 mb ram
win 98 se
geforce 4 440mx

------------
Spam Spam Spam

www.themattgreen.com

My game have randomic levels and it randomic works at randomic times. hehehe
well it eats a lot of memory becouse I expand my tree as long as I can. I have a limit of node to expand this 30000 or somthing like this, but I will put a time limit too.