Distro / IDE suggestions for Mesa/OpenGL experimenting?

Started by
20 comments, last by ZYirAH 21 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by ZYirAH
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Cyberdrek-- I agree the best starting point is getting used to the Linux itself. I''m trying to do that indirectly by taking on this ''project''. It''s a ''holistic'' approach. I''m keeping it light but with a general focus of playing with OpenGL eventually.

Progress so far: I wiped my laptop and put Mandrake on it (and XP). There''s a GF4 mobile in the laptop so I had to look around to find out how to get X to agree with the card. After searching around I learned how to wget the kernel and glx from NVIDIA and set them up so I can now run X with Gnome (I''m happy with my progress ). I installed Anjuta and managed to create, compile, and run a terminal app (hello world). So that''s cool.

Now it seems I need ?Glade? installed / configured to be able to make Gnome applications. So I''m searching around to see how exactly I do that. It''ll probably be quite a while before I try to figure out exactly how to install / configure GLUT and / or Mesa. I''m taking this one step at a time.

Thanks again for the suggestions and thoughts, it''s been helpful.

That''s cool. I thought you just wanted to get into OGL programming without getting to know the system first. I stand corrected. By the way, if you want to know anything about linux, the first thing to do is a search for HOWTOs in your favorite search engine. They should mostly cover all the information you need...

Keep it up..

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator TheLinuxForum.tk]
[Cyberdrek | ]
Advertisement
Try the new Fox toolkit at: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/fox.html for your gui/gl apps. I''m on win98/d3d/mfc but when ever I move to linux one day I''ll probably use that. There''s also wx-windows windowing toolkit, all these are very similar to window''s MFC api. That glade is nice but I think you can do the gui interface by hand quite nicely. See some fox toolkit screenshots. Linux gui windows have that automatic resizing thingy going unlike mfc windowing. The only difference between mfc and linux gui apis is that mfc writes the macros and msg handlers for you while in linux you have to write them yourself(unless using glade I think). Little bit time consuming but doable. In mfc I have to change wizard generated macros by hand sometimes too.

I wouldn''t use mesa at all if you have nvidia card. Goto sgi.com to download their July, 1.4 gl headers. Nvidia also hosts them on their site. They''re the same version, I checked. After that goto visit nehe''s website for his excellent opengl tutorials. If you don''t mind paying money there''s codecrusader dev. comparable to vc6 I think. It has nice ide and I had zero problems compiling on it back in ''97 I think(when it was free). Don''t know their status but I know they went commercial and merged with an windowing api people.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement