Typedef problem

Started by
4 comments, last by GGamer 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I have a problem when wreiting the sorce of a member function. When I try to comple the code it has a syntax error with the line befor the ''*'' FACE * DisplayObjects::getFaces(int type); I had assumed that since I had decleared FACE type before the method I would be OK. I can''t seem to see anyother way. Thanks in advnce. (applogies about the code insersion). =============Header Code=============================== #ifndef DISPLAYOBJECTS_H #define DISPLAYOBJECTS_H #include <allegro.h> class DisplayObjects { private: * This is used to store the four veticies that make a face which make up * the cubes. */ typedef struct FACE { int v1, v2, v3, v4; } FACE; FACE faces1[18]; public: // class constructor DisplayObjects(); /** * Returns the faces index array for the tive requested. */ FACE * getFaces(int type); // class destructor ~DisplayObjects(); }; #endif // DISPLAYOBJECTS_H =============Header Code End =============================== =============Src code==================================== FACE *DisplayObjects::getFaces(int type) { if (type==1) return faces1; } =============Src code END====================================
Advertisement
I usually don''t put the typedef statements in the class declaration. I don''t know if that''s because it doesn''t work that way or if it''s just my coding style.
quote:* This is used to store the four veticies that make a face which make up
* the cubes.
*/

All I can see is that your comment is missing an '/'

Regards Mats

Edit: One more thing...

You don't need the typedef.
struct FACE{  int v1, v2, v3, v4;}; 

[edited by - Matsen on March 8, 2003 10:04:13 AM]
Thanks guys,

It seems that if I keep the ''typedef'' and make it global it works, well it complies.

My applogies about the coding, it was a cut and paste job, as ther is a lot more code that would have clutter up the post.

Thanks again.
From what I see. Correct me if I am wrong but you can''t declare a struct variable inside your class definition. Thats what constructors are for. You should take face out of the struct definition. Thats my take. Maybe I am wrong?
GGamer, since the struct is defined within the class DisplayObjects, you''ll probably need to type DisplayObjects::FACE instead of just FACE in your function...

MARS_999, GGamer wasn''t declaring an instance of the variable, he was just typedefing it, which is valid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement