CSG

Started by
4 comments, last by walkingcarcass 21 years, 1 month ago
Programs like TrueSpace etc can add and subtract arbitary polygonal hulls, leaving no holes or other artifacts. How do they avoid expensive brute-force line and plane intersection algorithms? ******** A Problem Worthy of Attack Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
Using a BSP it''s very easy deciding whats inside/outside. This isn''t something i''ve looked into a whole lot, but i know that''s the basic idea You might want to check the closed Fountain of Knowledge-column on www.flipcode.com, i believe there were a few interesting questions about it there.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
Is it possible to simply use rendering tricks (via the stencil buffer) to make the image look as though it''s been CSG''d without actually doing it?

I saw an example of this on the OpenGL site with just a sphere and a cone,but presumably it can be extended to more primatives?
Well, i guess, as long as you don''t have any overlap between the objects... The problem is that the stencilbuffer is 2D, so i would definitely not go for that technique...

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
I want to actually calculate a new hull. BSPs have always confused me (i know the theory, but don''t understand the practical CSG application)

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Well, it would probably be to create a bsp-tree for each object, and using that to find what faces intersects, then slice away the faces depending on what operation you''re using.

--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement