Help...

Started by
12 comments, last by reean 21 years ago
I want to make a board game like Pente or Tic Tac Toe. Can you suggest me where should I start? I could do C and Pascal.
Advertisement
i do not no what you refer to when you say pente but tic tac toe can be made reletivly easy by using paper and pen
ya, I mean, i want to make the computer program of course ... :o)
Real programmers code in pen.

...Seriously, though, coding a Tic-Tac-Toe game would be pretty darned easy, seeing as how it is perhaps the simplest game known to mankind. The biggest challenge in making a Tic-Tac-Toe game would not be artificial intelligence, but rather, artificial stupidity. If only I knew how to effectively do either... Right now, I''m dabbling in AI the way Frankenstien might dabble in gardening or the fine arts.
Well the problems that would seem to be the simplest actually turn out to be pretty hard. A TicTacToe game can have a lot of complexity for just one person so first I would draw up a list of rules or constraints for the players both npc''s and your AI. And then I would design a flow chart of exactly how the game would flow starting with the introductory. If you are going to just do it in Ascii you might want to just stick to the general
| | for the ascii type of display but thats just me. Anyway
--+--+-- the AI yes is the hard part but the more planning and
| | design you do the faster and less snags you''ll run
--+--+-- into on your way. Also try to design everything by
| | what you can code. If you think up an idea for some
part of it and your not sure if you can code it then most likely you should omitt it.
nothing is impossible just improbable
sorry the grid got messed up:
'' | | ''
''--+--+--''
'' | | ''
''--+--+--''
'' | | ''
You get the idea!
I think I can handle the interface thing.
What I want to learn is how to make the AI things. Actually, I want to make a game called Pente.
(play on 19x19 board, you have to make 5 in a row or capture 5 couple of opponent stones)

thx..
I''ve played Pente...that would be an interesting first project...being that it isnt tic tac toe, pong, or some sort of bricks/arkanoid clone. you need to learn win32 programming before you go any further...assuming you are using win32.

theForger''s win32 tutorial is a good place to start.

Brian
Brian J
You might want to do a search on the internet for "Decision Trees" and the "minimax algorithm" both would work well for what you are trying to do.

Here is a decent link (and a good site for AI needs)

http://ai-depot.com/LogicGames/MiniMax.html

(sorry, you will have to paste it in.. o the horror!)

Ryan
mang?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement