Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mephs

Texture sources

Heyas all, I hate to have two posts so close together, but my other thread got me thinking about texture sources, and I think the thoughts warrant a seperate thread. I was wondering what sources people use for their textures? I got thinking about it after Yann mentioned the company he gets his textures from. Myself, if I need a texture for the game I''m working on, I tend to do a google or lycos image search, usually including the keyword "texture" in the search. I obtain my textures either directly (if there is no copyright on the work) or I cut out sections from large high detail photos and modify them in paint shop pro until I am happy with them. My main reason for doing this is because obviously I''m not likely to get funding for my project any time soon and I certainly have better things to spend my money on than professional textures, though perhaps if I had the money funded to buy proffessional textures, I might consider it. Also I have a digicam that produces a decent resolution photo, but my friend has my cam at the moment, when I get it back I may even experiment with making my own textures using it. So where do you get the textures for your projects, or how do you go about creating them if you make them from scratch?