Supporting multiples vertex formats

Started by
4 comments, last by bios10h 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I am currently working on my own 3dmodel formats (file and class/struct). However, I encountered the following design problem and I am seeking opinions about this since I don''t know what to do exactly. Also, maybe someone can point me to a better direction! Let''s say I have a 3dmodel that uses vertices holding the following information: X,Y,Z, NX,NY,NZ, TEX1_U,TEX1_V, TEX2_U,TEX2_V // for multi-texturing For hardware that supports multi-texturing, it''s all fine because I just load my 2 textures in 2 texture stages and pass the vertices above since I can set my FVF. However, when I can''t use multi-texturing on hardware, I''ll need to separate the data into two sets of vertices (one for each texture) thus replicating a lot of data. I am wondering if it wouldn''t be better to make up on the fly 2 DX FVF vertices using my own vertex format (the one above) every time I need to render. Thanks!
Advertisement
Can you use the same set of vertices? I just ask this, because it would be easy to do what you are asking by setting your texture stages.

Device->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 1);

This means to have your second texture stage read the second Tu and Tv. So if you have like

Vertice.xyz=Vector(50,50,50);
Vertice.Normal=Vector(0,0,-1):
Vertice.Tex1=Vector2d(1.0,0.0);
Vertice.Tex2=Vector2d)0.0,1.0);

The texture stage state would read from the second set!

Hope this helped!

TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
Hi,

First of all, thanks for your reply...

Using multiple texture stages is only possible on hardware supporting more than 1 texture.

Maybe I need to specify that my mesh class is internally (to store the data) using a vertex format that''s matching the number of textures layer for the mesh... i.e. a mesh with 1 texture layer would use X,Y,Z,NX,NY,NZ,TEX1_U,TEX1_V while a mesh with 2 texture layer would use the same plus TEX2_U, TEX2_V. This implementation could be changed if needed of course...

My question is about how to deal with vertices data when falling back to multi-pass...

Should I "split" all meshes'' vertices defining 2 text. coord. sets into 2 "independant" vertex using each one 1 text. coor. set (thus duplicating a lot of data -> X,Y,Z,NX,NY,NZ)

OR

Should I keep my meshes'' vertices intact and make the needed FVF vertex to feed DirectX (a mesh vertex will "generate" 2 DX FVF vertex for 2 pass rendering).

Thanks!
No, you are not getting the point!

You do not have to use multiple texture stages at all with what I told you!

You just do this

Device->SetTexture(1,Texture);
Device->DrawIndexedPrimitive();

This is only 1 texture pass!
Hi,

ahhhhhhhhhh yes... got it! Damn sorry it''s getting late.

Thanks
I totally understand that! Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement