Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JD

msvc6 locked me out

I had a project open in the background and I was searching the internet and opening internet explorer windows on my win98 one after another until I ran out of memory. That froze couple of windows so I closed them down and everything was normal again. I then closed visual dev. ide along with my project. Next time I went to open the ide I got an error: MSDEV caused an invalid page fault in module DEVSHL.DLL at 0177:5009abf1. Looks like there are some windowing mfc extension calls in that dll. Anyone has any ideas how I can get it open before I reinstall dev studio? arggggg... Thanks

Do you have project autoload on? That can happen if you have a corrupted .clw, because it fails on the "current class" combo.

Try deleting your .clw (it will automatically rebuild it, so don''t worry about it), then loading again.

-fel

I turned off project autoload thru windows registry. The .clw file is not present. I reinstalled vc6 thru control panel/add remove program/vc6/reinstall program. Still didn''t worked. Second after the vc6 splash screen appears I get that error. I''ve tried clicking on .dsw, .dsp files as well. For some strange reason I can''t get the ide open. Couple of months back I incorrectly uninstalled windows installer sdk. Ever since then I was getting desktop freezes after I copied or deleted small files. I thought nothing of it until today when it compounded the problem with vc6 ide not opening. I have tons of bookmarks/hyperlinks in my msdn doc viewer. If only there was a way to export them out of the doc viewer and import them back in. Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.

Try one of the following:

Re-installing Win98 or upgrade to WINXP or WIN2K

I found that with Windows98 you had to frequently reinstall it to get it to not bog down. You don''t have to do that with 2K or XP.

Later,

Michael Bartman

I have backed up my files onto second harddrive and am ready to reinstall windows. I thought about getting winxp pro and more ram but I really don''t need it now. It feels like throwing money out the window

Ok, I''ve done the win98 reinstall and it took me 6 hours, whew My os is twice as fast now and I''m having zero problems. It''ll work for some time now and when I do notice degredation over time(if any) I''ll go winxp.