game music

Started by
5 comments, last by Sabonis 21 years, 1 month ago
how would i implement game music? is there a way to open up an mp3 or is there other processing involved? "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I''m not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) That is so very true...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) That is so very true...
Advertisement
tutorials on Direct Sound and Direct Music are your friend!
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
Try FMOD (www.fmod.org)
Very easy sound API to use.

[edited by - tuita on March 15, 2003 11:03:57 PM]
NOOOOOOOOOO Not FMOD (ewww)
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
why not? I havent tried FMOD..is it good?

"Those who follow the path of the warrior must be ready to die, to stand for their convictions, live for one´s convictions, die for one´s convictions"
"Those who follow the path of the warrior must be ready to die, to stand for their convictions, live for one´s convictions, die for one´s convictions"
If you are using DirectX, DirectShow will play MP3s for you.
FMOD is damn good. It's very cross-platform too (includes support for things as varied as PS2 and XBox, IIRC).

To play an MP3 with FMOD (function call by function call):

Init FMOD
Load the MP3 file
Play the MP3 file
Shutdown FMOD

Yes, that's 4 calls to play an MP3.

DirectShow is one of the more painful systems you could ever hope to use - I'd avoid it unless you're playing movies (in which case, it's that or VfW).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he's not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

[edited by - Superpig on March 16, 2003 10:32:09 AM]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement