VS.Net screwing up

Started by
30 comments, last by Shag 21 years, 1 month ago
Jan Wassenberg are you running XP or 2000 ??

Thankfully, I havent had any of the problems you found, but I do get a lot of the fun "Mini Dump" crashes when changing from designer to code view and the odd internal compiler exception. The debugger also likes to hang my OS from time to time when stopping an Webform application.

Now, the strange part is that I am only having these issues on my WinXP box. Havent had a single issue when running under Win2K. Might just be luck on my part.

Also, There also appears to be a memory link somewhere in the IDE (odd since I thought it was written in C#.NET), as the devenv.exe process keeps increasing its memory usage everytime I run or compile my application. It never seems to release it?? It is not unusual for the process to hit 130mb+. Maybe the applications memory usage and the IDE's are linked somehow (debugger). That might explain why XP is going crazy (Swapfile Hell as you put it ) on close.

[edited by - Entz on March 16, 2003 10:16:14 PM]
Cheers,~Entz-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-http:www.leviathan3d.com (under construction)
Advertisement
quote:__asm is indeed an extension and AFAIK the entire block really should be flagged as an error with compiler extensions disabled.

hehe.

quote:There''s an asm block defined by the standard, but Microsoft''s compiler does not appear to support it (I haven''t checked very hard, because I prefer the __asm syntax over the asm one, which requires string literals). Since inline assembly is pretty much guaranteed to be nonportable anyway, it doesn''t matter much.

Yeah, agreed. gcc''s asm sucks
BTW, I noticed this b/c I have a (hopefully) portable, nice & clean program, and a dirty POSIX emulation backend that''s full of asm. I guess I could''ve disabled language extensions only for the app.

sjelkjd:

> Ahh, I see. I guess it''s a pain to distribute msvcr70.dll, but couldn''t you stick it on your website or something?
Sure, but it''s 330 KB (my .exes run from 160 bytes to 24 KB; net size would go up vs. statically linked), it''s work for the user, and completely unnecessary (thanks, MS).
I though about post-processing the .exes, changing the import descriptor, but I think dynamically linking against msvcrt or msvcr7 (whichever is present) is safer.

That has already been established.
> Ok, yeah, that was a little redundant =)

>> With such well-considered and reasonable statements, I do wonder if you''ve read the previous posts at all.
> Sorry, that wasn''t meant for you, but for the OP
ah, ok. VS is full of bugs, though :|

> Weird...sounds like poltergeists =)
grmbl. I hate playing beta tester for MS (especially when they''re trying to sell this steaming pile for $1000!).

Entz:
2000, SP3

> Thankfully, I havent had any of the problems you found
dammit, this kind of stuff takes a good bit of the fun out of programming!
Is this a case of MS deliberately making life hard for ''unorthodox'' (i.e. not Windows only, redistribute the kitchen sink) coders, or should I apply Heinlein''s razor?

quote:I do get a lot of the fun "Mini Dump" crashes when changing from designer to code view and the odd internal compiler exception. The debugger also likes to hang my OS from time to time when stopping an Webform application.

excellent... Apropos debugger & hanging, the OS freezes occasionally when debugging comm stuff, and also when opening COM1..2. Not sure if this is VS''s fault (my firewall may be responsible).

quote:There also appears to be a memory link [leak?] somewhere in the IDE (odd since I thought it was written in C#.NET), as the devenv.exe process keeps increasing its memory usage everytime I run or compile my application. It never seems to release it?? It is not unusual for the process to hit 130mb+.

Whoa! I''ll keep an eye on this, but I haven''t noticed anything to that effect.

quote:Now, the strange part is that I am only having these issues on my WinXP box. Havent had a single issue when running under Win2K. Might just be luck on my part.

Strange. And I haven''t had any problems with memory leaks / swapping (even after allocating 1 GB ).
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement