Problem changing window settings

Started by
4 comments, last by reaptide 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I'm implementing the code to switch my window between Fullscreen and Windowed mode for use with OpenGL. It will switch between the two modes with no problem and setting fullscreen mode successfully sets the window to a popup (WS_POPUP). It is when switching back to windowed mode from fullscreen that there are problems. The window will regain its border and caption with no issues but will not properly resize. I'd like it to be 800x600 pixels but it is set to the registry screen size (In my case 1024x768).

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// CWindow::SetFullscreenMode()

//

// Description: 

//		Switches the window to fullscreen mode.

//

// Returns: 

//		1 on success, 0 on failure.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int CWindow::SetFullscreenMode()
{
	if (!m_bFullscreen)
	{
		// Switch to fullscreen mode

DEVMODE dmScreenSettings;
		ZeroMemory(&dmScreenSettings,     sizeof(dmScreenSettings));
		dmScreenSettings.dmSize			= sizeof(dmScreenSettings);
		dmScreenSettings.dmBitsPerPel	= 32;
		dmScreenSettings.dmPelsWidth	= 800;
		dmScreenSettings.dmPelsHeight	= 600;
		dmScreenSettings.dmFields		= DM_BITSPERPEL | DM_PELSWIDTH | DM_PELSHEIGHT;

if (ChangeDisplaySettings(&dmScreenSettings, CDS_FULLSCREEN) != DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL)
			return(0);

// Change the window style

m_dwStyle = WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS;

// Set the new window style

SetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_STYLE, m_dwStyle);

// Change the size of the window

if (!SetWindowPos(m_hWnd, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, 800, 600, NULL))
			return(0);

// Display the widow

ShowWindow(m_hWnd, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

// Hide the cursor

ShowCursor(FALSE);

// Update the Fullscreen flag

m_bFullscreen = TRUE;
	}

return(1);
}

// CWindow::SetWindowedMode()

// 

// Description:

//		Switches the window to windowed mode.

//

// Returns:

//		Returns 1 on success, 0 on failure

int CWindow::SetWindowedMode()
{
	if (m_bFullscreen)
	{
		// Reset the Display

ChangeDisplaySettings(NULL, 0);

// Change the window style

m_dwStyle = WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_MINIMIZE | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_CLIPCHILDREN;

// Set the new window style

SetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_STYLE, m_dwStyle);

// Change the size of the window

if (!SetWindowPos(m_hWnd, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, 800, 600, NULL))
			return(0);

// Display the Cursor

ShowCursor(TRUE);

// Display the window

ShowWindow(m_hWnd, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

// Update the fullscreen flag

m_bFullscreen = FALSE;
	}

return(1);
}

Thanks for any help. I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply. [edited by - Reaptide on March 15, 2003 11:08:00 PM] [edited by - Reaptide on March 17, 2003 4:06:14 PM]
Advertisement
Seeing as this is about to fall off the page, I thought I would bump it up.

After a few hours of messing around I can''t seem to fix this issue. I''ve tried specifying different parameters for the functions in use and swapping the order that I perform them in, but I''m stumped. I could have swore that this technique has worked for me in the past.
Well I''ll try to bump this once more and then try out another techique.
When changing from a full screen mode to a higher resolution windowed mode using DirectX, you must wait until after the display mode has changed before attempting to resize the window larger than your previous resolution, since you can''t make a window larger than the desktop. For example, when going from 640x480 full screen, to 1024x768, with an 800x600 window, you can''t set the window size larger than 640x480 until after the mode has been set to 1024x768.
From what you have described, this is not your problem, but I am posting this on the off chance that it might help.

Shawn
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I''m afraid it won''t help to much in this case. I''m not using DirectX.

I''m using Win32 Api to change the display settings.

But what you suggested does seem to be similair to what I am experiencing. I will have to take a look at ChangeDisplaySettings() to see if waits before the display settings change before returning.
I seem to have fixed it. Goes to show that staring at your code for too long will not help fix a problem. It was just a typo on my part. When I change the window style WS_MINIMIZE to WS_MINIMIZEBOX everything worked as expected.

Thanks to my roomate for wondering why their was no minimize box on the title bar.

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement