Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

Color depth compensation for human eye!

BradDaBug    913
I hear that humans can see the more shades of green than any other color, and fewer shades of blue than any other color. Is it a good idea to set up the pixel formats to take this into account? Like if it''s a 16 bit color depth, set green to 7, red to 5, and blue to 4? Or would this even work?

Mephs    354
Well, I do know that is the basis behind the 16 bit format R5G6B5, more bits are set aside for green because we see more shades of green than other colours. I think the difference though is so incredibly subtle, that in the grand scheme of things color formats are fine as they currently exist, especially when you consider that (I think??) 32 bit colour is not far off the limit to the amount of colours the human eye can perceive full stop.

[edited by - Mephs on March 15, 2003 12:23:34 AM]

Ready4Dis    180
Mephs, that would be true if the 32-bit colors weren''t linear. If you throw a 32-bit texture up on a sky box, you can still see banding occuring, because our eyes perceive higher intensity light better than lower intensity light. We would really need a better system setup for that to be true. (which is why these graphics card companies have all those gamma controls and color ramps setup, so you can tune it better for your eyes).

Mephs    354
So what you''re saying is that perhaps something like the suggested system would reduce or eliminate the need for the color/gamma ramp settings, as the colours would automatically be optimised for viewing by the human eye? Surely the color and gamma ramp settings are purely for adjusting the available colors to suit variations in monitors, in which case it''s the variations in the way monitors display the range of colours, not the range of colours themselves that need to be improved. But then I''m no expert, so ignore me!!

S1CA    1418
quote:
Surely the color and gamma ramp settings are purely for adjusting the available colors to suit variations in monitors

Colour and Gamma is a deeeeep topic which goes from biology through physics to the choices and tradeoffs taken during the early days of NTSC & PAL colour televisions.

In some ways things aren''t as good as they could be in computer graphics due to historical events. Things are only just recently starting to get sorted out in this area, for example sRGB support in hardware, floating point framebuffers, HDR stuff etc.

I''d recommend you check out Charles Poynton''s excellent site:

http://www.poynton.com/Poynton-color.html

Some search terms that should provide some interesting reading:

1) Colour: Tristimulus, rods & cones, fovea, CIE

2) Gamma/Range: linear vs non-linear, sRGB, HDR, H&D

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com