• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ataru

Pointers

This topic is 5551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Maybe I''m just tired but I can''t seem to get this to work. Here''s some pseodocode of my problem. File 1. game_object *items[1000]; foo() { insert(items[0]); } File 2 struct node { game_objects *inserted[5]; int numObj=0; }; //Node is properly initialized, memory is allocated void insert(game_object* &toInsert) { tst->inserted[0] = toInsert; printf("%d %d",toInsert->x,toInsert->y); } When I try to acess toInsert (via the printf) the program crashes. For some reason tst->inserted[0] does not point to the same address as items[0] (which is what I want). Maybe I''ll figure it out in the morning, but I always get these stupid pointer things wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
No, that''s what I tried first. When it didn''t work I figured I had to send the pointer to the address but still no go.

struct node
{
game_objects *inserted[5];
int numObj=0;
};

//Node is properly initialized, memory is allocated
void insert(game_object* &toInsert)
{
tst->inserted[0] = toInsert;
printf("%d %d",toInsert->x,toInsert->y);
}

it should be (i think)

void insert(game_objects **toInsert)
{
tst->inserted[0] = **toInsert; // assigning values not addresses
printf("%d %d", *toInsert->x, toInsert->y);
}

i don''t have my book in front of me but i think that''s 80% right,
i think.

Still a no go. You have to pass the address of course so it would be:

insert(&items[0]);

insert(game_node **obj) ...

but the same thing happens. I don''t want to pass the value. I just want an array of pointers pointing to instantiated objects. Ugh, it should work.

Or I could have really been tired (I wasn''t kidding) and not realized that I was actually passing the equiv of items[0+1] and therefore passing a NULL pointer to insert.

Lol, thanks for the help everyone

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!