Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alnite

can u show me how to do this?

alnite    3438
I am doing 2D in 3D, and I want something like this for my engine: But, I don''t know how to do that. If I have a camera, let''s say located at (x,y,0.0f) pointing to a 2D surface...then what should I do next? I believe it''s gotta be something with setting up matrices for geometry pipelines, but I don''t know which and what. Thanks for any pointers.
throw Exception( "End of post" );

alnite    3438
thank you for the article, but I did it in a different way.
the author explained how to move rectangles at some x and y pixels. however, i want my engine to be resolution independent. if i see 20x20 in 1024x768, i also want to see 20x20 in 800x600 and 640x480. i have done this, btw, so this is not the issue.

i have been able to move stuff on the screen. but they move because i change their positions in the world space (just like what the author did) but, i don''t want this. i want a camera, pointing at a flat, large, and immovable 2D rectangle. so, if i want to look at (0,0), i move the camera to that position. if i want to look at (120,250) -- assuming the screen can only hold 20x20, so 120,250 is somewhere off screen, i move the camera to that position.

the reason why i am doing this is because i am thinking about making a RTS game. the large flat surface will be the whole map, and there will be some units moving around on the surface. instead of repositioning every units in the game according to the position of the large surface, why don''t i just use a immovable surface and the units won''t be worrying about the position of the surface. that''s why i want to implement this ''camera''.

throw Exception( "End of post" );