Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drevay

Ok, C++ my dear, you get another try :)

Drevay    100
Yes, I''m giving C++ another try, because of the amount of information on it, and I just like challenges. Python wasn''t challenging enough for me.... So, I''ve given in another try, and guess what! THIS is THE most complicated thing I can do with C++, (as of yet ).#include <iostream> #include <stdlib.h> using namespace std; int main() { int value = 0; cout << "Beginning of while loop" << endl; while(value < 5) { cout << "The value of value is: " << value << endl; ++value; } cout << "End of while loop." << endl; cout << "\nBeginning of do-while loop." << endl; do { cout << "The value of value is: " << value << endl; }while(value < 5); cout << "End of do-while loop." << endl; cout << "\nBeginning of for loop." << endl; for(value = 0; value < 5; value++) { cout << "The value of value is: " << value << endl; } cout << "End of for loop." << endl; cout <<''\n''; system("PAUSE"); return 0; } Yay n'' stuff Of course that''''s just my opinion, I could be wrong. -)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

Drevay    100
As many as I wish I suppose, but I''m really liking it now

So, yay.....

Of course that''''s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

Sneftel    1788
quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
How many tries is C++ supposed to get?

Well, it took me three (okay, two and a half, really). What about y''all? Ever try to learn a language (or, for that matter, any skill), completely fail at it, then try some months or years later and find that you really UNDERSTOOD it that time?

But... but that''s what HITLER would say!!

silvermace    634
yes i remember when i tried to learn C++ ...

i learnt basic, then gave up on C++ and went back to basic
after learning desing & programming principals, i got to a level where the language didnt matter, all you needed was the idea and how you were gonna implement it ... the langauge i used only played a small part.

as a result, i have mastered C++ and VisualBasic/Script/ASP and can handle very well, Delphi, javascript(Donot underestimate this lil beauty), C, C++ Builder.

im gonna learn python and perl .. somday

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/danu/

-- a dancing person appears insane to those who cannot hear the music

Staffan    122
My first attempt, failed. Then I dabbled some in VB and tried again - it went a lot better this time.

I started programming C five years ago or so, soon after I went on to C++. Pretty much everything I know is self-taught - I''ve taken 10 weeks or so of university courses in C++/etc so far. I still don''t know everything about C++ - like virtual inheritance, which is on my to-lookup list. Then again, I''ve been trying to have a life as well - i.e. not programming every hour of the day, or even every week...

And just this month I read a book that taught me tons and tons of new stuff I didn''t even know was possible with C++ - "Modern C++ Design".

Did you know you can make compile-time algoritms in C++? It surely never occured to me...
Generate class-hierchies on the fly with one line of code? It can be done...

HG    122
The very first time I started programming (years ago!) was with some variant of Basic that came with a book.
The second example in the book had an error somewhere in it - and of course, by page 2 I didn''t know enough to find what it was.

Eight or so years later, and I start programming at University. Much easier - I''ve never had a problem with any language since, from Miranda to C++ and Pop-11. Which is good

I sometimes wonder what would have happened had I carried on - I think in the end it would have had a negative influence.

Drevay    100
Hmmm.....metaclasses......I didn''t get that far.

Still though, it''s slower than C++, which is bad, so I think I''m going to go with C++ ...... for now.

I mean, I just need to DECIDE on something and STICK with it for once >:c

So, that''s what I''m doing

-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

Sneftel    1788
Don''t try to learn two languages at once, but do try to learn as many languages as possible.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Flarelocke    410
I don''t see how you can say you love C++ if you''ve never tried another language. That''s like saying you love blueberry pie and only blueberry pie. You may just really love pie in general and not know it.

I thought I liked C++. Now I''m pretty much ambivalent towards it. I used to think it was like chess -- simple to learn, lifetime to master. Now I know that all programming languages are like that, and C++ gets in the way just as often as it helps.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
caek is obviously better than pie, your analogy is now void.

Drevay    100

You see, if You would read my post on loving Pytho, I have tried Python, some Pearl, C, C++ (more so ), Java, and the such.

Even Lisp and Lua.

And I think C++ is the best idea...

-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

Drevay    100
By the way, if you don''t suggest C++, then what DO you suggest?

?

-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

hewhay    122
if you want to stay standard compliant try cstdlib instead of stdlib.h. To use standard c library inherited by c++ drop the .h and add c at the begining

Flarelocke    410
quote:
Original post by Drevay
By the way, if you don''t suggest C++, then what DO you suggest?
My post was submitted in mild umbrage at the one line post "I started with C++. Still luvin'' it." Nothing personal, but there''s really no reason to think you know anything about programming

I most definately do *not* suggest that you *never* learn C++. I''m just a little offended by people who think that, by learning Lisp (or Python, or Perl), that they''re somehow being open minded and adventurous. No, programming Sokoban in Sed, programming an assembler in Bash -- those are adventurous.

What do I suggest you learn? Well, for starters, Befunge, Smalltalk or Eiffel or Ruby, Beta, Lisp, Haskell, Perl, Python, Java, C, C++, Pascal or Delphi, maybe some form of Basic, maybe Ada, maybe Tcl, and any language that is not on this list. Then one you''ve designed yourself.

I haven''t learned all of these languages yet(just Befunge, Haskell, Perl, Python, Java, C, C++, Pascal, and (Q)Basic of the ones on the list), so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. (I''ll probably never program in Ada -- it sounds like what Java did to C++, Ada did to Delphi -- which was already pretty darn strict)

(You haven''t had any fun programming unless you''ve programmed in Befunge.)

Agentidd    132
quote:
Original post by Sneftel
[quote]Original post by bishop_pass
How many tries is C++ supposed to get?

Well, it took me three (okay, two and a half, really). What about y'all? Ever try to learn a language (or, for that matter, any skill), completely fail at it, then try some months or years later and find that you really UNDERSTOOD it that time?

But... but that's what HITLER would say!!

I've started and stopped on C++ so many times, i think i've almost won the record. I can count this at the least being the 5th time i've picked it up. I'm taking a class again for credit. And you know something... I understand it so clear.

Pointers are perfectly clear. The rules are clear. They make absolute sense.

I've been coming to this board for over 2 years... Since the spring of 2000. I've got books upon books on 3d and games. I've purchased in all 7 books on game programming. I've done this with a lot of subjects... it takes a while for stuff that i've self taught... to sink in. C++ is almost starting to get to second nature now. I can look at windows code... and not freak out. I know what i'm looking at and what I'm looking for. I love getting someone elses source to look at a chunk of their game code. See what could have done better... and see somethin i've not really given much thought.

There was a point in time i questioned myself. That i didn't think i wanted to actually program games. That I was more amazed by the theory behind it than anything else.

I've been looking at the source to OGRE, and can tell what its doing.(I still need to print out a full list of classes and functions for OpenGL, so i can see stuff side by side)

Its been long and drawn out... but its been worth it. Earllier in life... i wasn't ready yet to do this sort of thing... and now being more mature... and getting stupid stuff out of the way... I've now made more time to do things that are worthwhile. And for some reason, it clicks now.

I may be stupid sometimes... but i've never counted much out until i tried it('cept for drugs), and even after i've tried it before.. I do try things again just to check... opinions change.

-DD

[edited by - agentidd on March 17, 2003 3:53:59 AM]

BillPo    122
I''d like to just thrown in that I LOVE C#

Has the feel of C++ and Java, similar to Java but much more friendly for Windows and .NET (ofcourse), AND its really easy to make complicated programs quickly.

Ofcourse you can do the same with any .NET language because they''re all basically the same.

After using C# for a while now, whenever I go back and do something in C++ it feels dirty and yucky. I used to love C++ but I''m beginning to think it is in dire need of an upgrade. Templates suck. I know they''re powerful, but they are just really ugly and not simple enough to justify their power.

I''ll still use C++ for games though. Mostly because C# is new to me and because its not portable to other platforms. All my game dev tools are being written in C# though.