Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krisc

couple game graphics questions...

Hopefully some of you actually are game programmers...so here it goes... How do you "do" pre-rendered graphics...? How hard is it to "do" them? What about this idea...for games, pre-render the level, then make a different file, a real-time rendering with all the moveable objects and collision and map data or whatever, then render the pre-rendered level with the map data...you get insane graphics, high fps, and the interactivity of a normal game...i think it would work great for a racing game... <- Digital Explosions -> "Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

No, I don''t think it would work for a racing game. I have played a few games (off the top of my head) that used prerendered backgrounds Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and the Resident Evil GC cabes. Prerendered stuff only works when there is a set angle the camera can be at. This is because (obviously) the background is prerendered. The background is not rendered real-time; rather, it is rendered and then imported into the game as either a still image, or often times, a "static" clip (like a looping .avi, maybe?) Obviously, I can''t change the angle of the camera at run time because there is nothing to see. I only have a certain angle rendered.

The reasons this wouldn''t work for a racing game is the number of possible options. I could run off the course, for instance. You would have to come up with an infinite number of prerendered frames, because I could fall off the track at any point, coming off the track at any angle. That being said, I suppose you COULD make one where you just raced through a prerendered city, kind of like the old arcade racing games with the windy repetitive track. I don''t think the control would be very good though, and you would lose some cool features (ie: first person view)

ok i see...dang...that sux then...i was hoping that you could some how, pre render a model, dont ask my how i came up with that...lol

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

Well ya, it has been done, obviously...but I was wondering how it worked because if it could be done in a certain way, every game could use it and have great graphics...

how does doa3 use them though, i still dont understand, is it all just a bunch of "3d" images...?

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

MegaRace was a horrible racing game with almost NO actual gameplay thanks to the prerendered tracks--you could move the car left and right and bounce off of the walls, but that was it.

http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/front/large/megarace.jpg