Newbie to programming..need help on compilers..

Started by
9 comments, last by b0iNg 21 years, 1 month ago
Hello all! Well..like many thousand programmer-wanna-be who wants to make the next mega hit game but yet doesnt know a single about programming, I have decided to try to learn C++. Well..I got a problem. I *think* i will be programming for windows..but compiler. What compiler should I use if I program c++? Dont mind me..this might sound like a stupid question but I''m totally dumb at this. I would appreciate it if you can help me and maybe give me some links to free compilers(if there are any). Thanks in advance! Newbie Game Developer!
Newbie Game Developer!
Advertisement
Dev-c++ is my favorite free compiler, should work right out of the box.

Also, there''s a whole section devoted to compilers in the "For Beginners" section in the yellow links just below the gamedev logo.
Dev-C++ > *
learn &#106avascript first. all you need is notepad and it will introduce you to programming. Forget about C++ for now
(0110101101000110)The Murphy Philosophy: Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.
QBASIC is great to learn how to program.
Notice that he wants people to advise him about good compilers, not tell him what language he should use.

BTW, real men program in pure asm.
^-------Not true

Just go with whatever you wish, but I would recommend C++/C/Pascal/Delphi/Python (great for learning )/w/e

Just get Dev C++ (get 4.0, less bugs), and do some online tutorials, download some e-books off of kazaa, whatever you can do

It''s really fun and rewarding, and myself I started out with QBASIC, which is actually only about......a couple of hundred k.

Really easy language to use, and it gets you into the thinking patterns that will be vital for C++, or whatever language you wish.

Have fun! :D

Of course that''''s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
quote:Original post by Drevay
^-------Not true

You''re right. Machine code is the way to go.
>______>

Gah .....

Yes, if QBASIC is considered machine code then sure.

It''s good to start with, but only to start with!

Then go for higher level languages.

Of course that''''s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
quote:Original post by Drevay
>______>

Gah .....

Yes, if QBASIC is considered machine code then sure.

It's good to start with, but only to start with!

Then go for higher level languages.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-)(-Dennis Miller-)(-

None of that made any sense whatsoever. Just making sure you know that.

Anyway, b0iNg, if you haven't already made your choice and if this thread hasn't already lost all relevance, I'd like to put in my vote for Dev-C++ along with the others.

[edited by - micepick on March 16, 2003 8:40:56 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement