Blending scorchmarks, skidmarks etc

Started by
2 comments, last by michaweyel 21 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know what is the best way to blend scorchmark textures to an arbitrary position on an object/link between to objects (part of the scorchmark on the wall an part of it on the floor or something like that), or where i can find good articles about that subject? thanks, michael
Advertisement
*bump*
that''s impothable
Keep coming back, because it's worth it, if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!
I''m pretty sure that most games that implement this do it by creating an extra polygon over the wall (at the same depth, but a different Z-bias), textured with a scorchmark (which is, of course, partially transparent so as to obscure the shape of the polygon).

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Check out my thread on terrain, when first looking to implement detail, one of the first things I did was implementing a decal system of sorts. It works almost exactly as Sneftel described, you create a new polygon, where you wish the decal to appear, increase it''s Z-bias so that no z-fighting occurs, render the texture in the first texture stage and an alpha map in it''s second texture stage to alpha blend it onto the underlying polys. In my thread I have a screenshot of my method. I''m using it to achieve a slightly different effect, but the method would apply identically to standard decals.
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement