Stupidness: The Gameshow complete

Started by
9 comments, last by Ryan Kegel 21 years, 1 month ago
just a game i did with DirectX. Tell me what you think. http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/t/rtk124/projects/stupidness.htm Ryan
Advertisement
Well... it ran really slow on my computer.. too slow. I stopped after just watching a while this slowness and got tired of it.

[edited by - Coz on March 16, 2003 1:33:58 PM]
Crashed at the gameshow host, before the actual game started.
And I *really* hate intros that you can''t skip.
Yea, fix the introductions. Also, you should allow the player to decide when to display the next text message, and it''d be really cool if the people actually talked rather than having text blocks.
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
Well maybe those voices can wait till the program is better. And tell us when you fix it, ok?
Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback. It seems to work on the computer i try it on. Hmmm i do notice it runs slow if you are using the debug version of directx8.1. Also, could you guys tell me your computer speed and memory. Just so i have a good idea of its limits?

Thanks,
Ryan Kegel

PS. Trying to get all these guys together to put voices in the game would be hell since they all don''t get along in real life. hehehehhh
It ran extremely slowly and had some frustrating bugs. At one time I could not change the "selector" since there were only empty spaces around the current block. Numerous questions have spelling mistakes. The parser should be more generalized. Do a substring on the input answer, compared to the "right" answer. If it exists, but is not the whole string then do something along the lines of: "I''m sorry, we''re going to need you to be more specific...". Would be nice if the host maintained your input capitalization when saying whether or not you got it right. Having to stare at plain text for 30 seconds in the opening tempted me to immediately uninstall it. Definately allow for ESCing out of any scenes. From the intro to the guy who says whether you got it right or wrong, etc..

Mostly annoying was the graphical slowness. It might have been interesting if the people had more fluid motions, but as it is: It would probably be more interesting if the game was 2d to avoid having to deal with annoyances.

Also it would be more interesting if you had a pool of common responses to questions. IE- a list of presidents and then some stupid stuff for president questions... and when the computer buzzed in, he would pick from the list if he was going to get it wrong. Also, let the computer randomly wait 1-x seconds to answer a question. 1sec = 30%, 2sec = 30 + 25, 3sec = 30 + 25 + 20, 4sec = 30 + 25 + 20 + 15, 5sec = 30 + 25 + 20 + 15 + 10 = 100%.

On the upside, I thought the questions were interesting and well selected, and will be great when you polish the game. But as it was, it was just a little too rough to be fun.. yet.
2.4 GHZ, 256 DDR, Geforce4 Tit

quote:Original post by haro
It ran extremely slowly and had some frustrating bugs. At one time I could not change the "selector" since there were only empty spaces around the current block. Numerous questions have spelling mistakes. The parser should be more generalized. Do a substring on the input answer, compared to the "right" answer. If it exists, but is not the whole string then do something along the lines of: "I''m sorry, we''re going to need you to be more specific...". Would be nice if the host maintained your input capitalization when saying whether or not you got it right. Having to stare at plain text for 30 seconds in the opening tempted me to immediately uninstall it. Definately allow for ESCing out of any scenes. From the intro to the guy who says whether you got it right or wrong, etc..

Mostly annoying was the graphical slowness. It might have been interesting if the people had more fluid motions, but as it is: It would probably be more interesting if the game was 2d to avoid having to deal with annoyances.

Also it would be more interesting if you had a pool of common responses to questions. IE- a list of presidents and then some stupid stuff for president questions... and when the computer buzzed in, he would pick from the list if he was going to get it wrong. Also, let the computer randomly wait 1-x seconds to answer a question. 1sec = 30%, 2sec = 30 + 25, 3sec = 30 + 25 + 20, 4sec = 30 + 25 + 20 + 15, 5sec = 30 + 25 + 20 + 15 + 10 = 100%.

On the upside, I thought the questions were interesting and well selected, and will be great when you polish the game. But as it was, it was just a little too rough to be fun.. yet.

It''s playable, but it''s not really any fun, sorry to be so blunt.

- allow player to skip intros
- speed up the pace of the game. not graphics, but the overall pace
- well, speed up graphics too. it ran dog slow (1ghz, 256mb ram, geforce 2)
- more forgiving on answers. It asked "what was Scotty''s position on the enterprise?" and I answered "engineer" and it was supposed to be "chief engineer" so I got it wrong...
- less predictability for the AI buzzing in
- what''s with the "judge"? Seems superfluous to me
- tone down annoying AI chat when they buzz in...

Why is it called Stupidness? It''s Jeopardy.
Hey, thanks for your feedback again,

I forgot to mention that by hitting the period key, you''ll skip thorugh the current text. I am going to put something in to skip the intro since i had a lot of complaints about that.

I''m still trying to figure out why it is running slow on some of your machines. So far all my test on different machines work fine... What resolutions are you guys mostly running at? I understand the animation is a little choppy, but its my first game, and probably the last game i''ll make using directX .X files. I''ll eventually get better. As for the game questions,
I''m sure there are some spelling mistakes and stuff there, someday when i have time i''ll get back to that.

As for the name, I used stupidness because jeapordy is taken. I understand its not a very fun game, I made it more along the lines as a learning experience. It is not good for a single programmer to make a big game to start with. Especially if he/she is also the one doing the graphics and sound.

Oh well, I''ll see what i can do with this. Perhaps my next project will work out a little better.

Thanks for the feedback again guys.

Ryan Kegel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement