• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tokage

Ripples and Stuff

This topic is 5600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm relatively new to graphics and game programming. I'm trying to make a simple demo thingy with water ripples, and I have something that sort of works, but the ripples are very square and small. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tutorial for creating realistic-looking ripples in water in 3D. I'm using C++ and OpenGL. [edited by - Tokage on March 16, 2003 12:55:57 PM]

Advertisement
If you are new at graphic, and game programming, I suggest you to start with something more simple. I am not that new at it, and I still didn''t find a good way to add some nice waves, in my water I added some 2d waves (some random noise in the water), but, while it looks OK/decent for lake water, it looks bad for sea water...
There is an aerticle on gamasutra about waves, and water effects in general, but it is full of math, and I didn''t understand much out of it...

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

Thanks for the info. I consider myself very competent when it comes to pure math, so I probably wouldn''t have much trouble with that aspect of it. I''m not looking for anything complicated. Is there some book anyone would recommend for this kind of thing?

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/graphics/x_water.htm

Can easily be extended to 3D, and looks pretty good for very little work.

j

Take a look at "A convolution-based algorithm for animated water waves" - Loviscach (Eurographics 2002). It does ripples very nicely. If you are interested in actual waves, then there are a number of papers, but the Gamasutra article is a good place to start.

quote:
Original post by jdi

j

I can''t get it to work. Maybe I''m doing something wrong...

quote:
Original post by jdi

j

Its simply a perchance mathematical glitch. There are better ways for 3d.

Of course there are better ways of doing it. But I wouldn''t call it a "Perchance mathematical glitch." Mathematics doesn''t have glitches.

The main selling point of this really is that it''s incredibly easy - you can code up an implementation in a matter of minutes. Considering the original poster is trying to make a "simple demo thingy with water ripples," I thought it was a good match for what he wanted. No need to go for a full featured Navier-Stokes solver if this will do the job.

j

Although a full NSE solution is going to look much better, and is not so hard to implement either. Have a look in the water section of the FAQ, there are a couple of papers about NSE solvers and other water algorithms.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!