pc to console??

Started by
5 comments, last by ssjeci 21 years, 1 month ago
i ran across an article the other day that said that ps3 and xbox 2 will be releasing by 2005. they said that the xbox specs are 2Ghz and will run on a GeForce 5 graphic card. so can i still make a game for those consoles (if i could afford a sdk)with my pc.my pc specs are 1.14 Ghz and runs on an GeForce 4 mx graphic card. will my pc work affect an affect on the console. Ex: run slow on the pc but faster on the consoles. or if i make a model in my pc will it be more detailed on the console or will it stay the same
Advertisement
The model won''t gain any tris by putting it on the console, however, the game should run faster on something that has higher specs.

Join the World Wide Revolution:
I''ve never tried to develop for a console, but my impression is that if you''re developing for a current console, there''s no way to get the game to run on a PC. Or do SDKs come with some sort of emulator?

In any case, there''s no point in even thinking about developing for either platform right now. If you write PC code, it won''t run on the console. If you write console code, it won''t run on your PC (since there are obviously no emulators for nextgen consoles).

If you ever get an SDK, you will probably have upgraded your PC several times already.

Well, the XBox is so much like a PC that porting code bases back and forth (assuming DirectX8 based) is basically a one-day effort to get stuff running reasonably.. to really milk the xbox of all its performance though requires more, but it''s really not very hard.
Things are slightly worse with the Gamecube (it''s basically a stripped-down Macintosh with some extras, and uses an API that looks quite like OpenGL), and even worse with the PS2 where you basically have to code to the metal to get even reasonable performance.
Renderware seems pretty cool. But if I had that much money I would probably buy a new car or put down a down payment for a house.
yeah you don''t need an awesome computer to program for consoles. you run/test the game on the console, not on the computer (unless of course it''s something easily emulatable, like the GBA).

also --> errm you''ve posted about 50 topics so far on developing for consoles. why are you so interested? hate to tell you this but there is really no way you''re going to get the SDK for a console unless you''ve sued someone for a million dollars or won the lottery or saved up money for years.. they cost a lot of money, dude.

i''d advise sticking to developing for the computer right now. get some experience with directx, so if you ever do end up programming for the xbox 2, or xbox 3 or whatever, you''ll have some experience with it already.

developing for the computer is not bad at all

If you really wanted to develop games for a commercial console, I would recommend the gba, basically because you can develop for it for no cost. Although you won''t have the 3D capabilities you might want, gba games are still very fun to make. I would know, since I develop for the gba.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement