Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnnie2

Detecting Structure Padding

johnnie2    122
I''m creating a header file (to be included in DLL projects) that allows DLLs to communicate with the larger, main application. The header file declares a struct, and I''ve figured that the structure must be packed to ensure that different compilers don''t insert padding in different places, leading to a situation in which the application and the DLLs (built with different compilers) have separate views of the same struct definition. However, different compilers have varying ways of indicating that a structure should be packed (VC++''s pragma directive as opposed to MingW''s __attribute__); is there a way to detect which compiler is being used so the correct directive may be invoked? RapscallionGL - arriving soon.

Extrarius    1412
You could use the #ifdef directive. Many (if not all) compilers have a preprocessor variable that stores the version of the compiler. For example, MSVC defines _MSC_VER. You can thus assume that if _MSC_VER is defined, the compiler is VC++. If you wanted, you could even compare the number to something to do different things on different versions. You just need to figure out what variable each compiler defines and make a huge block of #ifdef s

johnnie2    122
Thanks. If anyone''s interested, the preprocessor variables/packing directives I found are:

Microsoft VC++
_MSC_VER
#pragma pack(1) / #pragma pack(pop)

Borland C++
_BORLANDC_
#pragma pack(1) / #pragma pack()

GNU C++
__GNUC__
__attribute__((packed))

Might be a useful thread when the search comes back online.

RapscallionGL - arriving soon.