Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sam_roshan

My Graphic card does'nt support D3D

Hi, This is my first Q on Dx. My problem is that I have written a small isometric engine in VB and DX8. Because of DX8 i used the D3D for 2D programming. It works fine on latest configuration. My system which has a terminator 2x AGP card and it does''nt support D3D. Is there any way to do make d3d work on my system. "I just want to do 2D programming with D3D (Dx8) no hi fi 3D games" Please Help Sam sammy

What is the type of the chipset of your graphics card? or What version of directx does the card support? any way if the card doesn''t support Directx you can use software rendering (software vertex processing).

quote:
My system which has a terminator 2x AGP card and it does''nt support D3D.

What do you mean by "It doesn''t support D3D"? Does it spit an error message when you try to initialize the d3d object?
I believe every AGP card supports some version of DX. Run DxDiag.

Cheers,
Muhammad Haggag

"Hercules Terminator" == Intel i740

If the drivers for your video card don''t report that they can do at least DirectX 6 then you can''t use the DirectX 8 Direct3D interfaces.

With the DirectX 9 Direct3D interfaces you need at least DirectX 7 level drivers. One of the main reasons is to reduce the amount of emulation required inside D3D to make it work on out of date hardware.

I''m not sure what level your drivers will be, but it''s probably worth getting the absolute newest from here:
http://us.hercules.com/support/old_driver.php3

Alternatively look on www.intel.com from i740 "reference drivers" which may support a newer DirectX version

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Thank u friends for the reply,

Thank u S1CA for the reference, i hope i can get the latest driver for this card.

Please tell me how "reduce the amount of emulation" to make this card work.

Hi Mohammed and Mohammed,
My card supports Dx. Its a Intel i740 Chipset

In the dxdiag->Display section it says
"DirectDraw Acceleration : Enabled"
"Direct3D Acceleration : Not Available"

And yes it spits an error msg saying the "Card does''nt support Direct 3D"

Thank u again,
Sam

sammy