omg.. CryTek Engine: Take a look and cry!

Started by
19 comments, last by Hairybudda 21 years, 1 month ago
Take a look at this new game-engine movie by CryTek. I won''t say anything because I''m speechless.. http://ftp.fragzone.se/download.php?file=mov/crytek/crytek_engine.exe it''s around 30Mb official site: www.crytek.com What do you think? :D
Advertisement
I saw the Crytek engine at the GDC this year, and I must say I was very impressed. The graphics were great, and the physics were amazing. I especially liked the part where they threw a whole bunch of jeeps in the air and let them fall.

I didn''t get to see any of the Havok demos to compare though, as they weren''t as visible as the crytek demo was.
I can''t download 30 MB, and I don''t think my video card can run it, so can anyone post a link to some screenshots?

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
its a video, a bink video. you definitely can run it:D

well.. www.crytec.com (or .de or what ever!?) has tons of screenies..

i think its a nice engine.. but speechless? no..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

I was more impressed by YannL's project, but this engine seems to be, from the screenies, more focused on game play which is ultimately more important that graphics, I believe.

EDIT: I saw the video and the game play was a bit too deliberately violent. And the detail had nothing to do with it. Take for instance, the rocket launcher blowing up a squadron of peeps: It looked no more realistic that delta force; it looked like a bunch of wooden puppets becoming scorched and falling down like hastily engineered rocks. I say if you're going to make a realistic, "violent" game, you should do so my concentrating on detail and even more physics, instead of showing belligerent war pigs in your demo.

[edited by - 63616c68h on March 17, 2003 5:05:09 PM]
Keep coming back, because it's worth it, if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!
There never have been very many games with high view distance, not with this kind of dense detail on the terrain. Fog planes are more the standard than the exception. That said, just look at the movie instead of 63616C68h''s linked screenshots ... view distance is slightly more than 100 meters in the movie most of the time.
My thoughts -

I think it''s pretty impressive. One thing I noticed, tons of imposters! The same tree, rotated the same direction, repeated a huge amount - looks great when your moving around, a little same-y when your still.

I liked the editor shots, gave me a few ideas for my own.

Not sure on the how the terrain rendering is being handled, in one part of the video I saw a pop but I''m not sure if it was the terrain or a imposter. I''m pretty sure they are using unique textures for the terrain rather than some sort of blended tile setup - in the video when the land was raised out of the water it still had a blue tint to it.

Any way...
Nothing special in my opinion. My engine(IMHO) looks a bit better, although my homebrew editor sucks
*st0ned*
Heavy risk of starting a flamewar ahead (though that isn''t my intention)...

At this point, whether one engine "looks better" than another is more a factor of the artists involved rather than the programmers. All of the next gen engines -- whether you are talking about Doom III, Deus Ex 2 (and other future Unreal engine iterations), Crytek, the XRay engine, PowerRender-X, lots of home brew engines -- will support very high polygons (thanks to better cards), hardware shaders, sprites/imposters, appearance-preserving normal-mapped polygons, real time lighting and shadows, etc.

It mainly comes down to the art and the tools (since better tools free the artists to do better work) now.

quote:
At this point, whether one engine "looks better" than another is more a factor of the artists involved rather than the programmers.

I tend to agree with that, but the programmer always sets the limits of what an artist can and cannot do. Also, you have to keep in mind, that there are different types of graphics artists. I''ve seen a lot of excellent 3D artists, one of them even works for Dreamworks, who can do animations and still frames that brings tears to your eyes - but couldn''t do a scene for a realtime engine if their lives depended on it.

Currently, there are still far too many limitations that a 3D engine imposes to an artist. I hear that every day from our artists. Although our 3D engine is quite advanced and supports a lot of features, I still hear our graphics team complain: "why do I get an unsupported feature error with the scene exporter, when I try to export this ?" (insert anything from cellular procedural texture to insane raytracing stuff). So currently, the artist is always trained and focussed on what the engine can do - he will optimize the scenes for the engine. And this can of course limit his creativity.

Although in the (near) future, the job of of a ''level-designer'' will more and more disappear, and be replaced by conventional 3D artists. It''s our job, as programmers, to develop engines that do not impose limitations such as closed environments and low poly counts, but that accept arbitrary and complex 3D scenes instead. The artist can only go as far as the software solution will allow him to go. That''s the challenge for us. The challenge for the artist, is to get the most out of the realtime platform presented to him. Creating a good looking game is the result of a good teamwork between programmers and artists.

There is only one problem left: it will get harder and harder to find good artists in the future. Simply, because the requirements will increase, as new engines add more and more functionality. One thing is sure: being an excellent 3D artist will pretty much guarantee you a premium job in the computer game industry of tommorrow. Well, at least until computers start to get creative on their own

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement