Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

666_1337

this whole google shit and openGL lighting

666_1337    122
i started this google-shit to send up those who keep this formus full with questions like "what means & in C" or "how can i write 3d games in html". i thought it would be funny to see what will be written into something really lame. but i think now it's all getting out of control. ... AND WHO IS "dobeneck" ? now to the question... i wrote a terrain engine that supports lots of nice thingies, so i don't want to rewrite it. i use vertex-, normal-, and tex-coords arrays. all normals are set well, and if i make the lighing calculations with the fpu (yes, i extended my algoritm), anything works fine. but if i use the openGL functions to calculate lighting, only those vertices are lit, that have a z-Coordinate greater or equal to the light source (in the modelview matrix). i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. (is there any way to upload a picture here)??? if i let the light source be a spotlight, that rotates over time, i see those vertices with greater z-coord beeing lit with the usual nasty spotlight (no per pixel lighting) effects to the vertices beeing lit normaly. at those verices that lie on the line (z = lightpos -> z) there are really good looking shades. i use linux 2.4.20, a nVidia geforce 4 ti 4200 and the newest detonator (the older one's show the same thing). somebody has had the same problems before? or knows the errors?

/*intialization*/
  float l[4] = {0.0f, 35.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f};
  glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, l);
  glLightf (GL_LIGHT0, GL_QUADRATIC_ATTENUATION, 1e-5f);

/*the drawing function*/
  float spot_dir[3] = {sin(rotation_light0), -1.0f, cos(rotation_light0)};
  glLightf (GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_CUTOFF, 45.0f);
  glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_DIRECTION, spot_dir);
  glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);
  glEnable(GL_LIGHT0);

/*i think this isn't important here*/
  glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
  glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
  glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texmgr -> terrain_texture);
  glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);  

glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
  glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
  glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texmgr -> detail_texture);
  glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

for(int i = 0; i < TERRAIN_GRID_WIDTH * TERRAIN_GRID_HEIGHT / 64; i++)
   {
	if(vf -> sphereIsInside(point3f(occ_nodes[i].xPos, occ_nodes[i].yPos, occ_nodes[i].zPos), occ_nodes[i].radius))
	  glCallList(occ_nodes[i].displayListsID);
   }

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
  glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
  glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
  glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
  glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);

[edited by - 666_1337 on March 17, 2003 1:45:07 PM]