• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zanthos

Stack vs Register vs Stack vs....

This topic is 5550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been doing quite a bit of research on Stack based and Register based virtual machines as I''m planning to make a custom scripting system for my game engine. At first I set out trying to find how much faster compiling the code is, but the question was already answered in a previous thread Have you made a virtual machine? Was it stack or register based? How fast is it? Have you made a scripting implementation but couldn''t be bothered with the compiling? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
I''ve made a basic vm and language compiler last summer as a prototype for a system I am developing for a game. While not fully functional (hey, it was a prototype ) it was good enough to use. Speed wasn''t an issue for me, but that depends on the game -- a fps game will have much less time to devote to script running than a turn-based game will. My system was stack-based, I did some research on stack vs register based architectures, and while my research tended to conclude that a register-based vm would be faster, the extra complexity in the compiler wasn''t worth it (Yes, I did try a register-based version first, but got bogged down with too much grief keeping track of register usage in the compiler)

In all, stack-based is much easier to write for, and fast enough...

Also, you definatly want to get your hands on "Game scripting mastery", it''s the book I wish I had when I started mucking around with compilers and vm''s...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!