vb Isometric

Started by
6 comments, last by mattguest 21 years, 1 month ago
I really would like to know how to start and write an Isometric engine in visual basic to allow me to re-create one of my favourite games theme hospital. Hope someone out there can help me or throw me a few pointers.
Advertisement
the language used to write a game is immaterial(well, mostly immaterial). i''ve written plenty of isometric "proof of concept" applications using vb.

anyway, do the following:

1) get good at programming, if you are not already.
2) (VB specific)become really familiar with the picturebox control in VB
3) get good at programming square/rectangular tile based games (make a game of othello). being good at square tiles makes isometric tiles much easier
4) learn about the math behind isometric tile based games.
5) make your game.

Get off my lawn!

May I recommend you learn Direct Draw 7 (or D3D 8 or 9) for VB as well? I guess you need some hardware acceleration if you don''t want too slow graphics...
You''ll need to become familiar with DirectX before you go off and do a game like Theme Hospital. I know it can look rather intimidating, but once you get over the bump it''s rather easy. You''ll also need to look into Isometric theory, though I don''t mind posting code I''ve done. (IE. how to find which tile the user has clicked on)
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
BTW, a great place to learn DirectX for VB is www.directx4vb.com
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
TANSTAAFL: You don''t need to get really familiar with the PictureBox control, you just get good with the BitBlt API. There''s nothing to a PictureBox, and it would be stupid to load graphics from a PictureBox''s hDC, as it would take up too much space, you just need to place them and ''paint'' the graphics (stored in memory) into them.

I''ve been programming in VB for 2.5 years, and I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know, just ask. Also, check out VB Forums and post under the "Games and Graphics Programming" forum, those guys there are a lot of help.
My very vb specific tip (you may already know this if you are an experienced vb programmer):

Learn how to use varptr, strptr, objptr (and the copymemory API) -- these are undocumented, but there''s tons of the stuff on them on the internet. Essentially, they allow you to manipulate data more efficiently (and freely), esp. between arrays.

Good luck-

BM
Hello, I figured since this is about VB and Isometric gaming, i''d ask my question that i''ve been having horrific problems with for 3 weeks. Its simple driving me nuts.

Im trying to make a 3D height map for an RTS game. I know I should be using Triangle Lists but I run into a new problem everytime I think I have it working. Theres no GOOD examples of this anywhere. DirectX4Vb.com has one, but theres no tutorial or comments, so its a lost cause.

If anyone could help i''d be highly appreciative. Thanks a lot!!!

Zach

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement