Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aniond

Anyone wanna make a Simple game with me? plz!!

I am wondering if anyone wants to make a simple game with me? Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

Please dont look at my signature, I am wondering if anyonew wants to make a simple game like a RPG 2d or something? please let me know..

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

2D RPG, what programming experience do you have? People aren''t gonna be too friendly with this posting. You should learn that when posting on the forums, people would like to know about what you can offer to such a project. Saying that you would like people to help you make a simple game (A 2d RPG not being one) leaves a lot of detail missing.

What coding experience do you have?

What could you bring to a project?

What do you want other people to help you with?

I won''t flame you, because I personally find that unfair. Answer some of these questions, and then see if people give you a more even response. Hope this helps somewhat

=*=
If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore

=*=

Well,
I''m gonna be honest. I don''t know programming at all. I am learning though. I can do all the attributes, names, etc. I can also make the graphics for some of it. I am not a expert on graphics so It wouldn'' be the greatest. I''m just trying to put a simple game together, Solitaire or whatever. I dont care.. and also dude. I know the
tag. I know almost all HTML. I was a website designer before this But I know nothing about making a game. But I wanna make a game. Also I thank you for not Flaming me. I am a N00b at this. Well, If anyone is interested you can post here. or add me to AIM, Well i will be waiting for more responses, and waiting to get Flamed again.!

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

I have RPGmaker 2000 , I also have Gmaker. I don''t get on how to use it. though its a good program I am told.

Thanks you are the only one that hasnt flamed me yet

Most of the people on the boards can be really harsh at people who the day they signup at GD, post asking people to help make a game with them with absolutly no game experience beyond playing them. Usally the game descriptions are extremely vague

We see post like these 3-4 times a week.

This is why your are not getting very warm responses from the users on the board. Your honest, at least you admitted you don''t have any game development experience. This does NOT mean you can''t create a game it just means you will have a more difficult time doing it.

I would suggest you explain your idea for your game. What type of game? Gameplay? What language will you use? It''s possible who ever wants make a game with you isn''t interrested in the type of game you want to make or doesn''t know the language you want to use. Just be more specific.

Goodluck.

Journal

Did I miss anything!? You guys get in a flame war without me? Not cool... Anyway, Aniond, theres gotta be about 20 guys on gamdev.net RIGHT NOW who think EXACTLY the same as you, but just can''t find the forums! Take that to heart when you''re learning how to program. Are you aiming to be a programmer, artist, designer, what? I suggest you decide now (you can ''minor'' in the other parts) but you need to decide what you want to do NOW so theres no ''floundering''.

I''ve coded for 4 years, and finished three major 3D engines, but I''ve STILL not coded a SINGLE 3D game, just cause it takes SO MUCH more in terms of organization, design, resources, and TIME! I suggest you either just learn and get better doing small projects and working your way up, or going out and getting an internship or even a minor programming job at a major company. Good luck! And no, I don''t have the time to help you make a simple game

Chris Pergrossi
< ctoan >

Well, I am always honest. I have NO programming experience. I want to be a Programmer when I get older. So I wanna learn now, But I wont be able to get a Minor Programming Job somewhere. Cause I dont know it. I want to learn. Also i want to make a Simple RPG, with like 2 or 3 dungeons, I have RPGmaker 2000 and could make it that way, but I dont think that its right doing it that way. The only hard thing about it is the TRigger''s , making things turn on and off. BUt that isnt even hard. I come on this forum is for Begginners/newbs like me and I get Flamed, Kinda stupid if you ask me. I am a good website designer. NOw if you came into a Website Forum and asked this kind of question I would help you, not Flame you. Anyways, I want to Major in programming, But I dont know where to start...
if someone could help it would be appreciated....

quote:
Original post by Aniond
Also i want to make a Simple RPG, with like 2 or 3 dungeons, I have RPGmaker 2000 and could make it that way, but I dont think that its right doing it that way.
why do you think it''s not the right way? as long as you see your game working, that''s the point of making a game, not "I''4m tH3 1337 pr0gr4mm3r d00d, I c0d3 411 th3 s7uff th15 g4m3 h4s!!"
quote:
Anyways, I want to Major in programming, But I dont know where to start...if someone could help it would be appreciated....

start here

throw Exception( "End of post" );

Dude, don''t feel insulted by the flames, but you''ve gotta realize that we''ve all seen newbies (like yourself) say "lets make a game" and NOTHING HAPPENS! Gets quite annoying if you ask me! And not to be insulting, but web programming and game programming are VERY different! You don''t even use the same lingo (unless you use java, but that''s still a different ''style''). Therefore, I suggest you get some experience under your belt with a non-full-albeit-simple-game so that you KNOW what to expect. And theres a website for people like you, it''s called something like anachry...something, maybe someone can help me out? It''s the ideal ground for people who want to make games online, I bet you can find someone to help you there! Again, sorry I don''t remember the name, but maybe someone here will help!

Chris Pergrossi
< ctoan >

Curious. I have a simple question: why does one have to be a programmer to make a game? Are all people "in" (and I use the term loosely) game development programmers?

A lot of people replying to this topic think the OP should be a programmer to pull this off...

[edited by - bgreen on March 19, 2003 4:46:28 AM]

quote:
Original post by bgreen
Curious. I have a simple question: why does one have to be a programmer to make a game? Are all people "in" (and I use the term loosely) game development programmers?
No, you don''t need to be a programmer.
quote:
Original post by bgreen
lot of people replying to this topic think the OP should be a programmer to pull this off...

quote:
Aniond
Anyways, I want to Major in programming, But I dont know where to start...

Because he wants to be a programmer.

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~20%

quote:
No, you don''t need to be a programmer.

That''s correct, you don''t. But most egocentric programmers would not even think of taking directions from someone who doesn''t know anything about programming unless they''re being paid money for it.

Depends, how much experience do you have?

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
----------
"I don''t know half of you half as well as I should like; And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

Guest Anonymous Poster
i''d be happy to help you out, aniond, but i''m afraid i don''t know a whole lot more than you do. i''m a programmer by trade, but i''ve never written a graphics engine, or most of the other things you''d need for the kind of game you''re looking at. (unless you wanted to write it in Visual Basic)

that said, there is more to game design than programming. that RPGMaker software will be immensly valuable to you, since you can learn the logic and flow of a game without getting bogged down in difficult programming languages.

good luck!

ace_of_jokerz

You know Valderman, i think that my game might be a better example of how not to structure a game . It got so bad that i have unfixable bugs and i''m just rewriting the whole thing the way it should be..