Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sthomas

new vertex buffer extension

That''s nice and all, but what does this mean for OpenGL users? I don''t have time to read all *10 pages, and the intro doesn''t come out and say why. It probably doesn''t apply to me, yet, because I''m not that critical. But I''m still interested in state-of-the-art ''built-in'' features--so when exactly will OpenGL v1.4 be released?

YES Was about time, I was desperately waiting for that. Now we just have to wait until NV and ATI include it into their drivers.

quote:

so when exactly will OpenGL v1.4 be released?

24 July 2002

i like it very much..

offtopic: reading the last some posts of 63616C68h (including math forum stuff), i really start to dislike him.. anyways:D

great extension, currently i''m reading about the überbuffers.. then the gl2 language, and we can start coding real general purpose rendering stuff.. go hw raytracing go!! :D i can''t wait for this summer to come:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

quote:
Original post by Yann L
YES Was about time, I was desperately waiting for that. Now we just have to wait until NV and ATI include it into their drivers.

It''s already in nVidia''s beta drivers from what I''ve read. Haven''t tried it out yet myself.

Apparently it''s the latest ATI developer drivers, too. It won''t be in the public drivers until the Catalyst 3.3s (at earliest), which should appear next month, if ATI continues its current release trends.

Regarding the extension, it looks rather good! It doesn''t appear to handle interleaved arrays as easily as ATI_vertex_array_object, though. . .

"Apparently it''s the latest ATI developer drivers, too. It won''t be in the public drivers until the Catalyst 3.3s (at earliest), which should appear next month, if ATI continues its current release trends."

Do you know if this will be supported in the radeon 9000 for the next driver release?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Original post by 63616C68h
That''s nice and all, but what does this mean for OpenGL users?
Among other things, it''s an easy and highly efficient way of moving and managing vertex data.

I don''t have time to read all *10 pages, and the intro doesn''t come out and say why.
I admit that it''s content is dense and exhaustive, but you will probably spend more time beating off this week than it would have taken you to read a paper that will benefit your OpenGL endeavors for possibly years to come.

It probably doesn''t apply to me, yet, because I''m not that critical.
Correct, this information is only useful to those who know what they are talking about.

But I''m still interested in state-of-the-art ''built-in'' features--so when exactly will OpenGL v1.4 be released?
Only about eight months ago.

Get a cluepon, junior.

Guest Anonymous Poster
will this depricate the vendor specific versions GL_NV_vertex_array_range and GL_ATI_vertex_array_object , GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range as well as limit the usefulness of GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object(similar to texture objects)

Well, if you didn''t notice, I was not only trying to *bump* him, but also trying to *play the newbie*. So incase there WERE any newbies who read, then they''d have their questions answered. I had no idea I was this popular.

I havent used the ATI only version, but the VBO (new one) is as flexible as the normal vertex arrays are, so yes, you can use interleaved arrays in the same manner as you used to do..

I havent tried it yet, but ive heard that you can use 2 or more objectbuffers at once, reading Vertexdata from one, and for example color data from the other..

quote:
Original post by MazyNoc
I havent used the ATI only version, but the VBO (new one) is as flexible as the normal vertex arrays are, so yes, you can use interleaved arrays in the same manner as you used to do..

I havent tried it yet, but ive heard that you can use 2 or more objectbuffers at once, reading Vertexdata from one, and for example color data from the other..

It was much easier to do really flexible interleaved arrays with ATI''s extension. With standard interleaved arrays one is limited to certain combinations of data, though it was technically possible to use standard glVertexPointer and etc functions for the same purpose as well. It just wasn''t as easy as with ATI''s extension. . .

So as far as i can see, this extension is supported by every NVidia and ATI card with the newest drivers, which will release in the near future.

Should there be a fallback, if this suberp extension is not supported? Then mybe it is more work.

Can someone please tell me what kind of performace should I expect form VBO. I just can''t get it to work faster than about 70% speed of VAR. I''m using Deotonators 43.30. Is there a newer (public) build of drivers avabile?

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.