• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Salary

This topic is 5539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.

Level designers make the most money!? Since when? I thought that kinda fell under the "art department" at most places. And unfortunately from what I''ve heard... art was generally the lowest paying. (28k - 50k) UNless your lead art director.... then your looking at 60k - 80k. But like you said.. this is of course dependant upon companies...

This is based on research i did about 4 years ago... so.. I''d love to have more opinions, from people who would know.(Out of curiousity)

Thanks
-DD

quote:
Original post by Rubes
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.

those numbers are depressing.

-----------------------------
Programming is confussing!
AIM: Trebor DoD

Ya. I'd rather earn $55-60,000 a year for programming than doing something I absolutely hated. Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

EDIT: Yes, Level Designers make most. They make everything, they're the ones who make all the worlds. The programmers make it all work.

[edited by - Rubes on March 17, 2003 8:21:41 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.

I wouldn''t mind $88k. I''m not updated on the pricing of houses and the standard wealth of America, but $88k sounds pretty good to me.

quote:
Original post by Rubes
Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

If that were the case:
I'd work for five years as a garbage man, invest wisely, and retire to write games.

My situation is not nearly so rosy though. I make a good living at my current job, but I can't afford to take a pay cut to do what I'd really like...write games. I have a wife and kids to support. Damn, I should've started earlier. So, I tinker in my spare time, trying deperately to find a way to get 'into the business' without rendering my family homeless.

[edited by - SpaceRogue on March 17, 2003 11:01:03 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!