Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ErraticSE

Salary

Rubes    122
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.

Agentidd    132
Level designers make the most money!? Since when? I thought that kinda fell under the "art department" at most places. And unfortunately from what I''ve heard... art was generally the lowest paying. (28k - 50k) UNless your lead art director.... then your looking at 60k - 80k. But like you said.. this is of course dependant upon companies...

This is based on research i did about 4 years ago... so.. I''d love to have more opinions, from people who would know.(Out of curiousity)

Thanks
-DD

Digigamer15    122
quote:
Original post by Rubes
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.

those numbers are depressing.

-----------------------------
Programming is confussing!
AIM: Trebor DoD

Rubes    122
Ya. I'd rather earn $55-60,000 a year for programming than doing something I absolutely hated. Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

EDIT: Yes, Level Designers make most. They make everything, they're the ones who make all the worlds. The programmers make it all work.

[edited by - Rubes on March 17, 2003 8:21:41 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.

elendil67    122
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.

I wouldn''t mind $88k. I''m not updated on the pricing of houses and the standard wealth of America, but $88k sounds pretty good to me.

SpaceRogue    122
quote:
Original post by Rubes
Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

If that were the case:
I'd work for five years as a garbage man, invest wisely, and retire to write games.

My situation is not nearly so rosy though. I make a good living at my current job, but I can't afford to take a pay cut to do what I'd really like...write games. I have a wife and kids to support. Damn, I should've started earlier. So, I tinker in my spare time, trying deperately to find a way to get 'into the business' without rendering my family homeless.

[edited by - SpaceRogue on March 17, 2003 11:01:03 PM]

Xai    1848
$88k is GREAT, but that was the HIGH end ... so it''s silly to even talk about making $88k as a game programmer working for someone else without part ownership ... that accounts for less than 1% of the working game programmer''s on the market ... last I checked the MEAN salary for game programmer''s with 2-3 years experience was under $60k and for 4-5 years was under $65k ...

That said, anyone who doesn''t think they can be happy on $60k a year was either raised RICH, or is just brainwashed by all of the $60/hr (or more) SQL jobs there are ... but once you eliminate sleeping, showering, comuting, and eating ... you only have about 86 hours left a week to WORK and PLAY ... as a game programmer you will work 50 with 36 for play, as a SQL you will work 40 with 46 for play ... BUT as a game programmer, those 50 are a LOT more fun (although also stressfull). It''s all a matter of personality ...

XvDragonvX    122
I want to go into the designing and production but the salery is slowly decreasing because of the ammount of people that want to become designers, if you stick it out for a while the designers salery gets to be one of the highest. Not to sure about the producers salery though.

Aniond    122
$88k, wow you guys are behind times here Poverty is 18k so you tell me My friend is a programmer and he makes like 35k a year and he lives like a King..so you tell me

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

alnite    3438
quote:
Original post by Aniond
My friend is a programmer and he makes like 35k a year and he lives like a King..so you tell me
is he single? if so, yes, 35k for a single is A LOT!

throw Exception( "End of post" );

Myopic Rhino    2317
quote:
Original post by Rubes
EDIT: Yes, Level Designers make most. They make everything, they're the ones who make all the worlds. The programmers make it all work.

Level designers don't have the highest salaries. Where did you get that? If the level designers are also artists, which is the case at many studios, their salaries tend to be comparable to but slightly lower than programmers at the same company. Pure level designers' salaries are generally considerably lower.

Anyway, back to the main topic, a discussion of salaries is pretty meaningless without a frame of reference. When I moved from Salt Lake City to San Diego, my salary increased by 50%, but when you factor in the cost of living difference, it only increased slightly.

Coz    169
Well actually guys in the country I live the amounts of money you speak about can only be gained by being a Doctor, someone with a high carge in the goverment or stealing(well they are almost the same )

Maybe it''s just that living in the US is more expensive, and also that we aren''t very advanced, but... hey what I''m talking about? the highest paid people here would be around 3k dollars a month! So the only way to get that much money here would still be stealing.

Peon    276
I''ve been thinking recently, and I think I''d like to do some kind of application programming, either related to games, or not. I''ve always thought it would be fun to work on some government project... maybe some kind of targeting system for the US missile shield, for instance, if they would have need of such a thing. Does anyone have some figures on what non-game programmers make? I''m curious.

ApparitionX    122
According to apptitude test I took graphic artist and layout artist have good outcomes and make a lot of money. But computer programers make a whole lot more money and have a even better outcome. There are several kinds of programers. There are programs in all sorts of electronic devices. Microwave etc.... Then there are of course programers that make applications for people to use on there pc or for businesses to use to calculate stuff like paying there employees. there are progamers in a whole lot of crap and that why the outcome is better...

elendil67    122
quote:
Original post by Aniond
$88k, wow you guys are behind times here Poverty is 18k so you tell me My friend is a programmer and he makes like 35k a year and he lives like a King..so you tell me

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

That''s probably because we live in Wisconsin, which is pretty cheap. So I don''t think that counts (with the exception of Raven, but I''m not sure what Madison is like). In Silicon Valley, there are people who make $75k/year and are homeless because the cost of living there is so expensive. So, as Dave said, it really depends on the area. By the way, how expensive is Sweden?

billybob    134
quote:
Original post by fractionMan
it cost 2$ for a burger here. That's 2 days wages for a university lecturer. It cost 70 cents for a beer, that's only 6 hours worth.

why are you on a computer?

edit: should say how are you on a computer

[edited by - billybob on March 19, 2003 6:53:12 PM]

Digigamer15    122
Hell I''d love to make $88k a year but that chance of that happening? Very low. A programmer making $88k a year is like a programmer with a lot of expirence who had a big part in making a game like GTA: Vice City. Now really. What''s that chance that that will be you?

(Of course I do not know all this stuff for sure but this is my educated guess)