Salary

Started by
37 comments, last by ErraticSE 21 years ago
About what kind of salary can you make in the game industry as a programmer? How about other positions?
Advertisement
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.
Level designers make the most money!? Since when? I thought that kinda fell under the "art department" at most places. And unfortunately from what I''ve heard... art was generally the lowest paying. (28k - 50k) UNless your lead art director.... then your looking at 60k - 80k. But like you said.. this is of course dependant upon companies...

This is based on research i did about 4 years ago... so.. I''d love to have more opinions, from people who would know.(Out of curiousity)

Thanks
-DD
quote:Original post by Rubes
The average salary for a game programmer is $55,000-$69,000. Lead programmers earn about $56,000-$88,000. Level designers start with about $30,000, but lead level designers can get over $100,000. Depends who you work for. Level designers still make the most money though.

those numbers are depressing.

-----------------------------
Programming is confussing!
AIM: Trebor DoD
-----------------------------AIM: Trebor DoDHompage: Thinking Digitally: My Web Blog
It''s not bad for doing something you enjoy.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Ya. I'd rather earn $55-60,000 a year for programming than doing something I absolutely hated. Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

EDIT: Yes, Level Designers make most. They make everything, they're the ones who make all the worlds. The programmers make it all work.

[edited by - Rubes on March 17, 2003 8:21:41 PM]
Gamasutra took a survey of the salaries of game developers, and here is what they came up with.

When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Does $88k really look that bad to you guys? Maybe it''s because of my blue collar background, but that''s very solid to me.

I wouldn''t mind $88k. I''m not updated on the pricing of houses and the standard wealth of America, but $88k sounds pretty good to me.

When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
quote:Original post by Rubes
Say Sanitary Engineers(Garbage Men) earned $500,000 a year(just making this up), I'd still go with programming. Who the hell wants to pick up garbage for a living?

If that were the case:
I'd work for five years as a garbage man, invest wisely, and retire to write games.

My situation is not nearly so rosy though. I make a good living at my current job, but I can't afford to take a pay cut to do what I'd really like...write games. I have a wife and kids to support. Damn, I should've started earlier. So, I tinker in my spare time, trying deperately to find a way to get 'into the business' without rendering my family homeless.

[edited by - SpaceRogue on March 17, 2003 11:01:03 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement