Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crispy

Windows 2000 DDK

Crispy    556
I just installed the abovementioned DK and was browsing through some of the samples. True, there isn''t much I understan (although the code looks unexpectedly high-level for me) - then again neither did C back then, but I didn''t find the answer to the questions I was looking for when I though of getting it. Namely, several of the sample drivers include functions that acquire hardware-specific information about the installed devices. This is what I was looking for - an easier way to determine some of the characteristics of certain devices installed. Right now, however, I am confused if I can use the DDK for this kind of stuff. I understand that the DDK builder only creates the dirver itself and the code cannot be used (compiled) outside of the DDK. Additionally, I am not even using VC.

niyaw    158
setupapi may be of use.

also, not everything contained in ddk has to be run in kernel mode. one of the cool things you can do is replace dependencies on msvcrt.dll/msvcr70.dll by dependencies on ntdll.dll if you use mostly just string manipulation functions.

[edited by - niyaw on March 18, 2003 6:08:43 AM]

Crispy    556
What do you mean by string manipulation functions? What I had in mind was quering a device or whatever the DD api uses to acquire info about devices to learn its properties (bus speed, hdd speed/make/manufacturer, etc) - does this count as string manipulation?

And the SetupAPI - you mean the dll? Sorry, I''m not sure what you have in mind...

Crispy

LessBread    1415
quote:
Original post by Crispy
What do you mean by string manipulation functions?

Functions that take strings as arguments. eg, strlen. NTDLL exports quite a few of them. Here is a partial list:

_vsnprintf
vsprintf
wcscat
wcschr
wcscmp
wcscpy
wcscspn
_wcsicmp
wcslen
_wcslwr
wcsncat
wcsncmp
wcsncpy
_wcsnicmp
wcspbrk
wcsrchr
wcsspn
wcsstr
wcstol
wcstombs
wcstoul
_wcsupr
_wtoi
_wtoi64
_wtol

Check out this freeware tool: Dependency Walker. It''s great for examining dll function exports and more.