Two Noobs

Started by
26 comments, last by Chad_Flk2003 21 years, 1 month ago
There are many, MANY ways to learn how to program games.

But here is some advice from someone who''s been doing it for a couple years now.

1 - Do not underestimate patience. Making games is no way easy, understand this. There will be many times that you will want to give up, that you will think that since you are not moving fast enough, that it is hopeless. It is not. Game development is not a race. And the only way to successfully create games, either by yourself with another person, is by taking it slow and steady.

2 - start simple. You may want to make an online RPG, or even a multi-level platformer. You may want to make the coolest 3D graphics engine around. And you will. Eventually. Right now, start small. I started with tic tac toe. Even after two years, I''m up to Arkanoid, learning to build level editors and implement them. Keep it simple, keep it small. Take it in steps. By doing this, you will be able to do my next peice of advice.

3 - finish what you start. ALWAYS ALWAYS finish what you start! I met a person starting up a game publishing company, and he was impressed with my Tetris clone. Why? Because it was a FULL WORKING GAME. Always take that extra time, and finish a project. That is much more impressive than a half-done 3D graphics demo. You will have real working games under your belt, and you will be able to get feedback after all those months of work without going "well, it isn''t finished yet." And that feedback is the best reward you can get.

4 - manage your time. When I was first learning graphics programming, I devoted an hour a day to sitting down and learning it. Now, even with working 3 jobs and going to school, I attempt to devote at least an hour every other day. Don''t devote too much time, but don''t devote too little. Eventually, I began to think of learning game development as being much like exercising. Too much time spent exercising is bad for you, you might tear or pull something. Too much time programming is bad for you, you will burn yourself out. However, if you don''t pick a regular routine, it becomes that much harder to get back into the groove. Find a balance, and stick with it.

5 - find motivation. keep a ready supply of instant motivation around you. Suscribe to EGM, GamePro, etc. Buy or download soundtracks from video games. keep a CD full of intro screens downloaded from places like IGN and whatnot. There will be many times, when you will be frustrated, and ready to give up and bang your head off a wall until you die. But if you take some time out, flip through a magazine, listen to a game song, watch some FMV''s, you will find inspiration, and you will realize what your goal is. Eventually, you''ll cool off, and have both a clearer head and more energy to solve the problem that ticked you off in the first place.

however, I highly warn against playing games to cool off. I tried it and found myself having the tendency to forgo coding to just keep playing a game. Playing games is an essential part of making them, but don''t let it cut into your coding time or you''ll be wishing you were making games rather than making them.

6 - Play lots of games. Heck, even watch other people play. Actually, I like watching other people play even better since I can take time to analyze and study the game without worrying about the game itself. But find a good mixture of the two. Before doing this, I was never really a gamer, I never really played many games. Now I find myself doing it a lot almost as a necessity. Again, don''t let it cut into your coding time.

7 - Invest in books. Internet tutorials and SDK documentation tend to really suck. Invest in some good books. A bad book is better than a typical internet tutorial in my opinion. Publishers have a whole checks and balances system to attempt to raise up the quality of the material. Some may slip through the cracks, but far less than a hastily made Internet tutorial. Plus, there is something to be said for having the information physically in front of you, that you can mark and draw on, and (sometimes) throw across the room. Buying a 30-60 dollar book every here and there is a good investment for a future 40K salary.

8 - Don''t rule out anything. Always keep an open mind to different API''s (OpenGL, DirectX, SDL) and different programming languages (C++, Basic, Java). Each have their advantages and disadvantages. Learning an API is like learning a different dialect of a spoken language, and the difference between learning programming languages and learning how to program is like a difference between learning how to speak a different language and learning how to speak. by learning one aspect of programming, other aspects become that much easier. don''t become hard-headed and set in your ways, be flexible.

I''m pretty sure there will be plenty of responses regarding how to begin programming and what to use and whatnot. But I believe this advice is good for the person starting out as it goes beyond the normal advice, and will help you in the long run.

good luck, I hope to be working with you in the future.

Advertisement
quote:Original post by zackriggle

What I Suggest that You Do
1.) If you do not have a Compiler [or know what one is] you need to get KaZaA Lite [www.fasttrackhelp.com], and download Microsoft Visual Studio [this is assuming you plan to do this for personal, non-profit, non-commercial purposes].
2.) In KaZaA, search for C++. You will get a few good books on programming C++, on top of the tutorial that comes with Visual Studio.
3.) It's all up to you from there

Why promote piracy when there's plenty of great free and LEGAL ways to create games?

1.) If you do not have a compiler, download the following:
pcGrasp (text editor/interface from Auburn Univeristy)
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp/
and a C/C++ compiler
DJGPP http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
or
GCC http://www.cygwin.com/

2.) In Google, search for C++ tutorial. You will get many great links (the open course notes for universities are usually great) on C/C++ info.
http://www.cs.ucf.edu/courses/cop3502/nihan/spr03/lectures.html
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
http://www.intap.net/~drw/cpp/

After you've taken an interest in C/C++ programming, I highly recommend Deitel & Deitel's "C++: How to Program" and for art: the "Photoshop 7 (or 6) WoW!" book. Definately buy a copy of Adobe Photoshop or Jasc Paint Shop Pro for artwork. Paint Shop Pro is $99, and if you're a high school or college student you can get Photoshop 7 for around $275 (discounted from $600 without academic discount). You can also get MSVisual C++ for around $99 with the academic discount.

3.) It's all up to you from there

(silencer)

[edited by - -silencer- on March 18, 2003 8:50:34 PM]
quote:
What I Suggest that You Do
1.) If you do not have a Compiler [or know what one is] you need to get KaZaA Lite [www.fasttrackhelp.com], and download Microsoft Visual Studio [this is assuming you plan to do this for personal, non-profit, non-commercial purposes].
2.) In KaZaA, search for C++. You will get a few good books on programming C++, on top of the tutorial that comes with Visual Studio.
3.) It''s all up to you from there

this is uh....illegal. there are plenty of free c++ compilers. you can also get a student version of msvc for like $50, i even got a copy in the back of a book once.

go buy a book. actulay buy two books, because each always has its good points and bad points. one i recomend is orielys practical c++ programing (a little out of date, i dont know if they released a new edition, but its a good book). makes a really good reference when you cant remember something.

for art, i cant really help. but ive seen that barnes and nobles has a game development section in a lot of thier stores now. go sit in it and skim through a couple of books about art and maybe youll see somethign that will help you.
quote:Original post by Michalson
I disagree. (-Michalson, Moderator of For Beginners on Gamedev.net)

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I didn''t mean that all posters in this forum should know to read the FAQ before posting, or even that they should have to read it. But if they''re doing what the faq says not to then they should be told to read it. I tell them that to be helpful, not, as many people seem to assume, to attack them.

This is somewhat tangential and you''re welcome to debate it, but I think if you are smart enough to post on GameDev''s forums then you should know how to use a search engine. How someone in this day and age hasn''t heard of Google when it''s become an everyday term baffles me. And, while not as common as Googling, I don''t think it''s totally unreasonable for many people to know what a FAQ is and to know it''s a good idea to read it. Not everyone, but many people. I think Sneftel summed up my thoughts pretty well:

quote:Original post by Sneftel
People in "For Beginners" are assumed to be new to Game Development, not new to thinking for themselves. At least, that''s how I always saw it.
Well, Dobbs I appreciate you being nice to me. But I would never have found this site if it wasn''t for a friiend. I was responding to some newbs on a website designing forum. and they mentioned it. Most of the people on here are Jerks. Lukeeyes, DarkSlayer, Zackriggle are the only ones that were kind enough to help me out. Dobbs also, was helpful.
you guys should go to a HTML/XHTML forum and post questions, you wont get Flamed cause the people are actually decent there. Lukeeyes, DarkSlayer, Zackriggle , Dobbs are the only nice people on here obiviously.

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. :) I''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
OH (btw), he wasnt promoting Piracy, I know about kazaa.

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. :) I''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
quote:Original post by YodaTheCoda
u dumass, some of us have our shjift and caplock keys broken dont be so arogant

please forgive my vigor but i feel it is my duty to stand up for those who have none

you are just attacking everyone aren''t you? I just read a post of you where you said that there should be an dumbass forum. I think you will spend most of your time there if there was one. And if there was something wrong with my post, then let Alnite comment, and don''t try to start a war with everyone.

~~~~~~I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...
quote:Original post by White Crow
dumass, some of us have our shjift and caplock keys broken dont be so arogant

please forgive my vigor but i feel it is my duty to stand up for those who have none

Original post by YodaTheCoda
you are just attacking everyone aren''t you? I just read a post of you where you said that there should be an dumbass forum. I think you will spend most of your time there if there was one. And if there was something wrong with my post, then let Alnite comment, and don''t try to start a war with everyone.

ROFLOL! (there the caps ).

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~20%

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement