Two Noobs

Started by
26 comments, last by Chad_Flk2003 21 years, 1 month ago
Howdy! A friend and I are learning to be game designers, and could use a little help finding resources for what we want to do. Ming''s going to do programming and I''m going to do art. The reason for this post is we could use some help finding resources. So, if anybody could post anything for C, C++, any other useful or necessary programming language, or anything on 2D art would be greatly appriciated.(I''m learning 3D later...) Heres an example for the style of art: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49716.jpg Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
See that "For Beginners" link up there? click it.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Mmm, wow you guys are kind of Rude. They are trying to learn this and you Flame em. Well, I bought a boook called C++ For Dummies and it is a good book, Explains everything well. DO you have AOL MEssenger man? I can dig something up for Art. If you want me to! Well sorry for these Flamer(s), I am a newbie too. So maybe we can learn together ..

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. :) I''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
Aniond, those two posts were hardly flames. If the posts had have said "I hate idiots like you who come here and ask us to do everything for them! STFW!" then maybe I''d agree with you. Telling someone to look for something themselves is not flaming, it''s asking them to do what they should have done before they came to ask for help.

Besides, this site IS a resource on game programming, art, sound, etc. One should be able to find something on this site to help.

-Auron
Don''t listen to those lamies above, I''ll give some hints..

You could try the dummies book if you think that would be helpful. My experience with dummie for dummies, is that they are quite thin....too thin, and non explanatory at all.

You have not said what kind of program you want, and the image given is quite....err....not very easy to interpet what kinda game you want to make.

I suggest that you study c++. All games that comes on cd''s are made with this language. This is not the only language, but the most versatile, most powerful, easiest to find help and tutorials for. Gamedev here has a TONN of stuff to look into, so you could get yourself airborne only with this.

Best book recomended for c++
Deitel & Deitel: C++ How To Programm.

This has an easy beginning, but gets difficult and cover alot more subjects, styles, and techniques. But face it, this book will not theach you how to create an game, for that you have to need to learn how to program for windows right? Thats why I recomend Deitel, because to understand windows programming alot better ( and faster ), you need a fundament. But thats done, I recommend this book...

MS Press: Programming Windows 5th Ed by Charles Petzold

This book theaches you how to start program in windows in win32 style. Don''t mind win32, you understand when you are that far. But other styles could be anything really, MFC, QT, etc etc. Win32 is also what is most covered on Gamedev.

After this windows flying start, you could start programming your game and do lots of weird stuff. But then it is time to decide if you are going to use directx, or opengl...if you don''t know what that is, you will soon figure, don''t worry.

I have not done anything graphic in my life, but a few words about it anyway. Learn photoshop is a good thing. Thats for 2d and textures. For 3d ( modeling ), you would use 3D studio, or even better gmax. gmax is better to use against games and are more and more used for modeling towards that. But thats 3d and you should not rush for that....

and another thing. the road ahead is long, and is very long to you get anything moving around, so put yourself small goals, and reward yourself.... its better beeing two than one... And I think both should learn programming, and 2d art... but don''t focus too much on 2d art for now... because in development you always end up needing alot code in one time, and alot art in another time and then alot code....
Read the forum faq. This is exactly the sort of thing you shouldn''t post.
Geesh, we''re newbs. What do you expect? I have the C++ For Dummies book, its really a great book. Most of the other Dummies books weren''t good I agree, But this one is good...I mean, if your not gonna help this person then dont post. if you dont like the post STFU, and don''t read it... ok

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. :) I''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.
quote:Original post by Aniond
if you dont like the post STFU, and don''t read it... ok
Now..that''s a flame!

throw Exception( "End of post" );
Look, everyone here is a guest of Gamedev and so we have to follow the rules they create for us. Those rules are outlined in the faq. When I say "read the forum faq" or when Sneftel says to "click the For Beginners link" it doesn''t mean "look you idiot don''t do this, didn''t you read the fucking faq?" or "hey dumbass, didn''t you see the For Beginners link?" When you''re new here you should read the faq, and if you''re new to programming or game design you should read the For Beginners section. This isn''t my opinion, it''s what the staff of Gamedev and the moderators of this forum want. Being a newbie doesn''t exempt someone from that, nor is he exempted from that because it''s easier or more convenient to ignore it.

And just so you don''t overreact to this post know that it isn''t intended as a flame, just "this is how it is," Ok?
Well, I am sorry if I blew up. but when I was starting out at Website Designing I was the same way. I needed help and people said this same crap. Now i am the one helping them. And I make sure i don''t Say this stupid stuff like "look in the For Begginners forum" that doesnt help him any. I at least try to help them. I am truly sorry I blew up but I mean cmon. I am a newb programmer and I get this same crap from everyone. Its irritating. Anyways, sorry for the angry post. But if you dont like the post or whatever dont read it. I mean that is common sense..

Anyways thanks for the wWarm Welcome Dobbs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement