BEST THING IN THE WORLD FOR MSVC

Started by
12 comments, last by zackriggle 21 years, 1 month ago
I have come upon a program, called Visual Assist. It was created by Whole Tomato Software (wholetomato.com). It has many WONDROUS FEATURES They Include: o- Capitalization fixing o- Underlines spelling errors (yay!) o- Auto-convert '.' to '->' when necessary. o- Highlight matching\mismatching () and {} o- Fixes autocomplete\IntelliSense problems (big YAY!) o- Inserts closing ),}, and ] automatically o- Keep symbols in memeory for VERY fast IntelliSense response o- Auto-rebuild symbol library every time you save a header file If you don't want it to do something (IE auto-insert brackets and parenthases) you can turn that option off. ================== My (soon-to-be) Cherished Cookie of Appreciation: -- MattB - for WinSock advice -- [edited by - zackriggle on March 17, 2003 8:30:00 PM] [edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on March 17, 2003 8:51:19 PM]
Advertisement
I use it. It is really good.
I realize that, and I figured since my post was removed I had better change it, eh? I could also be considered a 14-year-old who programs as a hobby and does not have $80 to spend on a piece of software that fixes MSVC and enhances it, even in the great ways that it does so <br><br>However, I feel justified in that I am advertising their software &#111;n a programming site for them. I suppose that a great deal of people will look at this thread just because of its title, and in that I would suppose a few people to try/buy it. I also posted my email for those like me.<br><br>I do NOT want this to start a flame-fest. Please keep this thread relatively clean, maybe reviews of the product by others.<br><br>[XtaC]<br><br><SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - zackriggle &#111;n March 17, 2003 8:52:53 PM]</SPAN>
quote:
It has many WONDROUS FEATURES

IDEs are for wimps!

Seriously, though, these features sound like crutches. If you''re confused on when to use . or ->, for instance, you need to re-examine what''s going on with your code rather than relying on some IDE to fix it for you.

----
Bart
----Bart
True, the -> correction feature is in my experiance the most useless. But autocompleting nearly everything is pretty cool.
You can type code damn fast when when you only have to type a few letters for each function, variable, macro, or whatever.

Auto adding {, (, ", etc, is somethimes useful and sometimes annoying.

Yea, I turned off the auto-brackets after the first five minutes :-). However, IntelliSense was having problem showing me a std::vector's members, and this fixed that. I like the autocaps too, great thing. Underlining mispelling helps out in a bunch of situations too. And when you have to print EVERYTHING for your programming teacher, who happens to know a little less than you, the syntax highlighting when you print helps out too.

[edited by - zackriggle on March 18, 2003 4:32:03 PM]
What I would like is to automatically make class constructors ( initializing all variables to 0 in the order they are defined) and create empty functions for the class'' CPP file. That would save a LOT of cut''n''paste effort

The C++ language or MSVC doesn''t bother me at all, the search and replace function fixes most problems! Quick macros are good too if you have to _T() ever darn string too.

I would pay to have that SUPID MESSAGEBOX in VB6 that pops up when you don''t finish a line and select something else though
quote:Original post by Cybertron I would pay to have that SUPID MESSAGEBOX in VB6 that pops up when you don't finish a line and select something else though

I would pay to have the idiot responsible for that assinated. I would pays lots, too

It's singularly the most annoying 'feature' of the VB6 IDE.

Why? I hear you cry out ...

Because ... You're typing away, you get half way through a line and decide to copy and paste something ... suddenly -

BEEP - "you're an idiot that doesn't know how to use VB, and we at Microsoft are here to help you by interupting your work at every available opportunity and tell you something that you already knew, but 'HEY', if we didn't do this we wouldn't be helping you to become better programmers so in fact these annoying little interuptions are really a blessing in disguise, God Bless"

Get my drift?

[edited by - Shag on March 18, 2003 8:45:54 PM]
Notepad forever!
The only program that won''t fight back or argue with whatever it is you are trying to do!
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
A feature that I found out a few weeks ago is the Goto Method. It helps me code faster when I have to shuffle through methods. You can bind it to some keystroke so it''s faster to call (I have it bound to the key next to Find In Files...)

Also, using Shift-RightClick you can have a "clipboard" history, so you can paste things you copied a while ago

Hope this helps

Eric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement