Level Editors?

Started by
9 comments, last by Lithic 21 years ago
quote:Original post by Basiror
and you statement that creating an editor is easy ...... is plain bullshit
i suggest you start working on an editor before you come up with these statements

Actually I did create a map editor with VB a few years ago... I have about 4 years VB experience myself, and like I already said, VB might not be capable of doing a great 3D engine, but it CAN do an editor. And YES it''s easy (well relatively easy of course) to use for such a thing, you just make some place to store the viewport and then you treat it like C++ (well commands are of course not totally the same) and it''s so much easier to add things like buttons, bars, commondialog windows, etc. Of course MFC or just WinAPI would be faster, but saying "VB sux it can''t be done" is a wrong statement.

Right now I''m working on a map editor for my engine with C++. (Don''t refer to my site it''s almost older than you are) It''s almost done now, and I made it in a way that I didn''t reach with my VB editor. But now I know how to do it in C++, I can do it in VB too I know that there''s nothing I cannot do in VB what''s in my editor (and no my editor is not really basic ;p) there''s just no point in making in VB now, but else I could if I wanted to. What I experienced was that I had a lot more trouble with creating an editor in C++ than I had in VB. Windows programming in C++ can seem so hard, sometimes I really can''t see the logic (either with WinAPI or MFC, both have their pros and cons) and with VB it''s sooo easy to handle buttons and stuff. But if you''re a C++ expert, there''s no need to learn VB for the editor it would take you more time than figuring out C++ to fit your needs. But I already said all this in my previous post. There were just 2 guys that needed to attack me on me being a bit pro-VB. I hope you guys get what I meant now, and note that I''m not saying MFC/C++ is a bad thing. I''m just saying VB isn''t a bad thing either.

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement