Level Editors?

Started by
9 comments, last by Lithic 21 years ago
Im trying to write a level editor in which there are menus, textboxes, at LEAST 1 OpenGL rendering window to help the creator visualize his work and a texture selection box which is dockable and i would like to even have buttons for selection of different options (Cube, Square, Triangle, Cone, move Camera, Place Entity, Etc.) Could anybody give me some help on how to do this or at least a page to refer to because i am pretty darn well stuck! BTW, this is for a great FPS that I''m singlehandedly developing, screenshots/level design jobs are available at my website. --===LITHIC===-- --===WWW.HaVoKsite.TK===--
Advertisement
What you expect? I can only tell you to use visual, if you are not skilled in MFC or api, use builder instead.
On the screenshot is only some faces and one shadow.

hi

i am working on an editor with MFC

MFC is nice and easy
i decided to do it the 3dsmax way

my objects are stored in a CMesh class
this class contains a vertex list
a facelist
and uv coordinate list

i have perspective,top,right,front views

i have got a working snap to grid

but right now i am a bit stuck since i am burned out for quite some time already

but i have talked to other people working on editors with VB and they told me that VB restricts you here and there

id try MFC it s easy really
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Don''t use VB, it''s rubbish for making level editors! Check out my new post on the topic: I freaking hate VB!

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Insanity by stating you hate VB you just tell people you are not experienced with it. It''s a rubbish post to make here VB can be great for editors. But since you probably don''t know VB, just use C++. It''s really not that hard to make a level editor, even without MFC. Just make a windowed mode screen with a viewport, and add a dialog bar. Voila, there''s your editor. I think you should have all the knowledge already present, except maybe for the dialogbar. Just browse the MSDN for this. Sure, it''ll take you some time to learn and make it, but it''s like that with everything right? I think MFC is nice, but it can be much harder (imho) and it also adds a lot of ''garbage'' you don''t need most of the time. I recommend not using MFC until there''s no other option left... But I also know a lot of people who just love MFC so it''s just up to you to decide.

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |
oh if you decide to go the way I described above, you can always e-mail me if you have questions or are in need for code

quote:Original post by Subotron
Insanity by stating you hate VB you just tell people you are not experienced with it. It''s a rubbish post to make here VB can be great for editors. But since you probably don''t know VB, just use C++. It''s really not that hard to make a level editor, even without MFC. Just make a windowed mode screen with a viewport, and add a dialog bar. Voila, there''s your editor. I think you should have all the knowledge already present, except maybe for the dialogbar. Just browse the MSDN for this. Sure, it''ll take you some time to learn and make it, but it''s like that with everything right? I think MFC is nice, but it can be much harder (imho) and it also adds a lot of ''garbage'' you don''t need most of the time. I recommend not using MFC until there''s no other option left... But I also know a lot of people who just love MFC so it''s just up to you to decide.

blah blah

he has enough knowledge of VB to know that it is not suitable to create an editor with it

and you statement that creating an editor is easy ...... is plain bullshit
i suggest you start working on an editor before you come up with these statements
insanity has already written an editor in VB
and to state what you have said above you should at least have as much knowledge about this topic as he has
and i have checked out your page
i seem like you reach his level in any way

and concerning MFC: it only adds as much garage as you use
MFC is nothing else then win32 wrapper (statement is from jeff prosise`s book) and as such it would be stupid to waste a lot of time with winapi coding
you can of course reinvent the wheel
i am in contact with quite a few people who work on editors and none of them who have used VB at first uses it anymore

You could always try modifying an existing, more powerful level editor to ur own needs... try using the quake III radiant one, that has source code...!
radiant is brushbased

brushbased==outdates because you don t need BSP trees anymore
perfect meshes == future

thx
Bas, thanks for that. I was just a little frustrated with VB.

Subotron, I have five years of experience with VB, three of which as a professional VB programmer. My VB problem is just organizational. I've been developing DarkVertex (check it out, it's in the sig) for about a year, and I've tried many different solutions to get it to work. None have seemed to gel. And VB's great for business apps, etc., but the very nature of a level editor (lots of mouse interaction with scenes, little use of conventional VB controls) makes VB less suited to the task than something like MFC.

Anyway, I'll give the VB version another stab at some point or another, and if you want to email me, Lithic, I'll help with any problems I can. Me and Basiror have done a lot of research into level editors between us...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on March 20, 2003 1:37:10 PM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement