Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grey_Havoc

What is a cheap (preferably free) C++ compiler?

I bought the book "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" (very good, btw) and I''ve read most of it, but I don''t have a C++ compiler so I can''t program. Does anyone know where I can find a very inexpensive or free program for C++? Even if it is non-commercial only. Thx, Grey_Havoc A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer-Mitch Hedberg Check out my website! http://fmd.efxpro.com

For Windows, I like the borland free compiler ... I believe you also get make and can download a free debugger too.

I haven''t used Dev-C++ myself but have heard lots of talk about it ...

For non-windows computer GCC is by far the most common compiler. Although many distrobutions still use 2.95.3 instead of 3.2.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use borland''s command line compiler v5.5 and emacs as a text editor. bcc32 is the same compiler used in borland builder, and emacs is a solid program that provides automatic syntax highlighting and indentations. Not as good as some of the commercial tools, but much more free.

ide:
->linux:
--->www.anjuta.org
->windos:
--->www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
compiler:
->both:
--->gcc.gnu.org --- it's free
--->developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers --- the best compilers availible. free for linux. trials for windos. requires registration

[edited by - 666_1337 on March 18, 2003 2:40:20 AM]

Actually, if you want to be an *honest* person, you can pick up Visual c++ 6.0 for fairly cheap these days:
http://osnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=38968/ut=d82484d5e767065f

That''s just one site that offers it for a good price...I mean, really, a few hundred bucks is not very much for a product that is quite useful to most Windows c/c++ programmers.

Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

Hey, asked and I told man. I did''nt reccommend doing that. Just said that its a option. YOu can also down a GNU compiler for free.. When I find the link ill give it to you, It works well..Sorry for the Inappropiate post

Goals: Create a Online Multiplayer 3d Video Game. My AIM id is Amateur Designer plz add me someone. I''''m looking for a programmer to make a game with me.

It doesn''t matter that it''s "just an option." Stealing money from someone and using it to buy a compiler is also just an option, but it''s inappropriate for the same reason. It''s illegal.

Anyway I don''t mean to get on your case, just don''t do it again. Also, welcome to gamedev and good luck.

As part of the DOTNET SDK Microsoft makes it C++, C# and VB compilers available. That with SharpDevelop (I think thats the name) will allow full C# development.

The C++ compiler can be used for managed (.NET) and unmanaged (normal) code.

There are no restrictions that I am aware of - just no fancy IDE.

Probably not an optimizing compiler - but I'm not sure.

see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptutorials/html/introduction_to_developing_with_the__net_framework.asp

"The C++ compiler is located in \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\VC7\Bin."

Use this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4fe5bdb5-c7a7-4505-9927-2213868a325b&DisplayLang=en to get the FrameworkSDK including compilers.

[edited by - mjdalways on March 18, 2003 1:32:31 PM]

if you want to add to your library, Tips and Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus 2nd edition comes with a copy of Visual C++ Introductory version.

you can''t distribute the exe, but you can still learn. and you can distribute the project info and have someone else make a executable build for you.